This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 50.711 / 50°42'39"N
Longitude: -3.5126 / 3°30'45"W
OS Eastings: 293298
OS Northings: 91247
OS Grid: SX932912
Mapcode National: GBR P1.9QWB
Mapcode Global: FRA 37J6.9D0
Entry Name: Guard House and Attached Wall, Wyvern Barracks
Listing Date: 8 July 1998
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1109979
English Heritage Legacy ID: 469523
Location: Exeter, Devon, EX2
Electoral Ward/Division: Newtown and St Leonard's
Built-Up Area: Exeter
Traditional County: Devon
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Devon
Church of England Parish: Heavitree St Michael and All Angels
Church of England Diocese: Exeter
TOPSHAM ROAD (North East side),
Guard House and attached Wall, Wyvern Barracks
Formerly known as: Topsham Barracks TOPSHAM ROAD.
Stable and guard house, with attached wall, now lock up and store. 1800-1804, for the Ordnance Board, extended late C19-early C20. Flemish bond brick with local red conglomerate base, English bond extension, with a slate hipped roof. PLAN: single-depth former stable with rear extension. EXTERIOR: 2 storeys; 4-window range, with single storey 2:3-window rear side range. Front 2-storey former stable has small segmental-arched cell lights, with 2 more to the first floor either side of a central 6/6-pane sash in the raised upper section; right-hand return has a cantilevered granite external stair to a first-floor doorway. Lower rear extension has projecting 3-window section fronted by an iron 4-bay verandah with 3 wide segmental-arched metal-framed windows above. INTERIOR: contains original cells with heavy doors. SUBSIDIAR Y FEATURES: attached high brick wall on squared conglomerate stone base enclosed former exercise yard to the SW; with a blocked entrance from the street. HISTORY: shown on mid C19 plan as officers' stable, with the later lock-up an important functional element within the barracks. Part of the former Topsham barracks, the most complete small artillery barracks of the Napoleonic War with France. Included for its historical interest with the Headquarters building and former Royal Artillery Drivers' barracks (qqv). (James Colonel H: Plan of Artillery Barracks Exeter: 1813-1866).
Listing NGR: SX9329891247
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings