This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 51.0351 / 51°2'6"N
Longitude: -0.9589 / 0°57'32"W
OS Eastings: 473095
OS Northings: 126710
OS Grid: SU730267
Mapcode National: GBR CBW.4C4
Mapcode Global: FRA 86WC.VNB
Entry Name: Barnsley Cottage and Attached Workshops
Listing Date: 30 March 1993
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1111725
English Heritage Legacy ID: 354817
Location: Froxfield and Privett, East Hampshire, Hampshire, GU32
District: East Hampshire
Civil Parish: Froxfield and Privett
Traditional County: Hampshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Hampshire
Church of England Parish: Froxfield St Peter
Church of England Diocese: Portsmouth
The following building shall be added:-
SU 72 NW COCKSHOTT LANE
9/10003 Barnsley Cottage & attached
Cottage & attached workshops. 1908-9 by Geoffrey Lupton as his home
and workplace. White painted brick; upper cruck construction. Tiled
roofs with tall brick chimney stacks; half-hipped to cottage and
workshop rear, pitched with deadlights to workshop front range.
Cottage - 2 storeys. T-shaped plan. Vernacular style. Irregular
fenestration; mostly segmental-arched 3-light casements with glazing
bars. Entrance on left-hand return with part-glazed door. Brick
mordillion eaves cornice continues around the cottage. On the rear
elevation a full height chimney breast and tall stack with a gabled
dormer to left. Interior has wide (15" & more) hand-cut polished oak
floor boards and plank doors, all with nails, latches and strap hinges
handmade in Gimson's and Lupton's workshops. Sitting room with
bressummer to large open fireplace and built-in wooden seat. Beneath
a trapdoor in front of the fire, a concrete bath. Kitchen with quarry
tiled floor having a hand-crafted oak trapdoor to water tank beneath.
Door opens onto polished oak spiral stair. The cottage is a good
example of Lupton's Arts & Crafts philosophy and fine craftsmanship.
Lupton was a furniture maker, joiner and builder who had trained under
Ernest Gimson and built Bedales hall and library to Gimson's designs.
In 1923 Edward Barnsley, furniture maker & architect, took the tenancy
of the workshop and moved into the cottage in 1926. Barnsley lived
and worked here as a designer craftsman until his death in 1987. The
Barnsley archive is housed here and the furniture he made for his
Workshops - L-shaped plan. Single storey front range; 2 storey to to
rear. Mostly similar external appearance to cottage. Expanid by
Edward Barnsley and c1958-61 by his son Jon. Functional interior with
timber trusses and fireplace.
Listing NGR: SU7310326712
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings