This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 51.4571 / 51°27'25"N
Longitude: -0.9652 / 0°57'54"W
OS Eastings: 471992
OS Northings: 173629
OS Grid: SU719736
Mapcode National: GBR QNF.83
Mapcode Global: VHDWT.7M2W
Entry Name: Church of St James'
Listing Date: 22 March 1957
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1113480
English Heritage Legacy ID: 38939
Location: Reading, RG1
Electoral Ward/Division: Abbey
Built-Up Area: Reading
Traditional County: Berkshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Berkshire
Church of England Parish: Reading St Mary the Virgin
Church of England Diocese: Oxford
SU 7173 NE 1/2
SU 7273 7/2 22.3.57.
Roman Catholic 1837-40 by Augustus Welby Northmore Pugin. Untypical Norman style. Much altered 1925 by W C Mangan (south aisle and apse ambulatory), and 1962 by Bingham Towner (north aisle). Flint with ashlar dressings. Roman tile roof. Coped gables with footstones. Belfry to west. Round headed clerestory with continuous impost string. 5 bays. Dividing and corner buttresses. West front has oculus at top, large round headed window with flanking blind arcade. Projecting porch with centre break and angled corners, round headed doorway with 2 orders, of chevron. 3 apses to east, centre with ambulatory. 3 bay south aisle with 6 bay double arcade inside. North-east pier has fragment of beaded C12 carving.
INTERIOR: wooden roof, vaulted apse. C12 interlacing on re-used stone from
Abbey is now the font. Pugin's first church design. The Norman style probably
dictated by proximity of Abbey remains.
Listing NGR: SU7199273629
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings