This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 51.4564 / 51°27'23"N
Longitude: -0.9689 / 0°58'7"W
OS Eastings: 471740
OS Northings: 173553
OS Grid: SU717735
Mapcode National: GBR QMF.GC
Mapcode Global: VHDWT.5N5C
Entry Name: St Laurence's Church and Churchyard twelve Tombs in St Laurence's Churchyard
Listing Date: 14 December 1978
Last Amended: 7 March 1980
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1113533
English Heritage Legacy ID: 39068
Location: Reading, RG1
Electoral Ward/Division: Abbey
Built-Up Area: Reading
Traditional County: Berkshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Berkshire
Church of England Parish: Reading St Laurence
Church of England Diocese: Oxford
graves tones in
St Laurence's Churchyard
SU 7173 NE 1/202A
2. 1. 2 stone chest tombs at north-east corner of church, the nearest to
church early C19 with double panels. The other a good mid C18 tomb with
corner balusters, oval side panels with hourglasses to north, cherubs
2. Sarcophyus-type with tapering sides. Early C19 lacking railings.
At east end of church.
3. Chest tomb east of item 1. above. 1809 Austwick vault. Corner piers
with arched panels.
4. Chest tomb east of item 3. High plinth. Fluted and reeded corner
5. To north-east of item 1. 1800. Mortimer vault, lacking railings.
Chest tomb with panelled sides.
6. South of item 5. Circa 1827. Square plan, raking sides, with channelled
corner piers and antefixae; ball finial broken.
7. South of item 6. circa 1810. High chest tomb with panelled corner
To north of churchyard path are various memorials, the best are in a group
near south-east corner of the Forbury extension of the Municipal buildings.
8. The following.
a. Circa 1820. Sarcophagus-type which formerly had marble memorial
tablet. Fluted fireze
b. Circa 1830. High chest tomb with missing railings. Vines family
vault, Panelled corner piers.
c. Low chest tomb. Hoffmn family circa 1857. Fluted corner piers.
d, Good circa 1797 chest tomb. Hooper family. Double panelled sides.
Listing NGR: SU7174073553
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings