History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Offices,stableblock and Coach Houses and Enclosing Walls Immediately North of Leyhill

A Grade II Listed Building in Tortworth, South Gloucestershire

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.6315 / 51°37'53"N

Longitude: -2.4441 / 2°26'38"W

OS Eastings: 369357

OS Northings: 192617

OS Grid: ST693926

Mapcode National: GBR JX.8KWM

Mapcode Global: VH87Y.L883

Entry Name: Offices,stableblock and Coach Houses and Enclosing Walls Immediately North of Leyhill

Listing Date: 5 June 1984

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1115010

English Heritage Legacy ID: 34735

Location: Tortworth, South Gloucestershire, GL12

County: South Gloucestershire

Civil Parish: Tortworth

Traditional County: Gloucestershire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Gloucestershire

Church of England Parish: Tortworth St Leonard

Church of England Diocese: Gloucester

Find accommodation in
Falfield

Listing Text

ST 69 SE TORTWORTH TORTWORTH PARK

1/138 Offices, Stableblock and Coach-
houses and Enclosing Walls
G.V. immediately north of Leyhill

II

Offices, stables and coachhouses and enclosing walls; now workshops and a Prison
Service Museum. Circa 1850 by S.S. Teulon. The stables, coachhouses and
workshops enclose three sides of a square yard. Coursed rubble with Bath stone
dressings; plain and fish scale tiled roofs. West range: single storey range
of 6 stables, now workshops; plank doors and single and 2-light casement windows;
projecting pentice over setted walkway. North range: in the centre is a
2 storey, 3 bay groom's quarters with 3 gables, three 3-light cross windows and
3 plank doors in chamfered surrounds and under relieving arches; to the left is
a single storey 2 bay stable range; to the right are 3 coach-houses with
chamfered, depressed arch surrounds. East range: to the north are 3 coach-
houses as on the north range; in the centre is an entrance tower with a 4-centred
arch carriageway, gables to all 4 sides above and a central clock tower with a
tiled base and a louvred lantern surmounted by an ogee dome; to the south'is a
single storey range with three 2-light casement windows. A tall rubble quadrant
wall then joins the east range to a 4-centred archway which has, on the south
side, a further quadrant wall with a single storey dairy built against it, which
returns to the north east corner of the house. Across the centre of the yard is
a freestanding range of buildings. In the centre is an octagonal game larder:
2-light casement windows to each elevation; plank door under a Y-tracery window;
octagonal louvred lantern and plain tiled roof. Flanking the larder are single
storey workshop buildings with hipped roofs and to the west is a former
brewhouse or gasworks: square 2 storey tower at the west end, hipped roof and
large octagonal louvred lantern, three 2-light casement windows, clustered
octagonal brick stacks; 2 storey east range which ends in a gable cross wing.
(The Builder, 29.10.1853 and 19.11.1853).


Listing NGR: ST6935792617

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Selected Sources

Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.