History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Carrow Works Block 60

A Grade II Listed Building in Thorpe Hamlet, Norfolk

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 52.6204 / 52°37'13"N

Longitude: 1.308 / 1°18'28"E

OS Eastings: 624016

OS Northings: 307648

OS Grid: TG240076

Mapcode National: GBR WC8.J9

Mapcode Global: WHMTN.2D4J

Entry Name: Carrow Works Block 60

Listing Date: 12 October 1993

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1116887

English Heritage Legacy ID: 442666

Location: Norwich, Norfolk, NR1

County: Norfolk

District: Norwich

Town: Norwich

Electoral Ward/Division: Thorpe Hamlet

Built-Up Area: Norwich

Traditional County: Norfolk

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Norfolk

Church of England Parish: Trowse St Andrew

Church of England Diocese: Norwich

Find accommodation in
Norwich

Listing Text

TG 2407 NW KING STREET
(north side)
31/10006 Carrow Works:
Block 60
GV II
Factory building. 1870-1880. Somerleyton brick with brick dressings. Hipped roofs of slate with
projecting eaves and exposed rafter ends; weatherboarded lucarne. Metal frame windows.
Rectangular block. Three storeys with fourth storey to quayside, or north face. Six-window
range to Paper Mill Yard, or south elevation. Segmental-arched windows, those to the first floor
set in round-arched recesses; outer ranges blind; round-arched entrance with overlight in fifth-
window range. Structures to east (buildings numbered 61A, B and C) west (lean-to shed and
taller structure to north faced in corrugated metal) are specifically excluded from the listing. East
elevation articulated into bays by shallow round-arched arcade; northmost range blind. Five
southmost ranges of west elevation visible, all following same pattern as those to the east; two
ranges at comer blind. Partial inspection of north or quayside elevation revealed a lucarne
covered in corrugated metal to top floor supported on metal brackets. From 1926 to 1940 the
structure was used as the Barley and Groats Mill. By 1960 it was used for Colman's Dry sauces.
In 1991 it was used for Colman's Dry Sauce Mixes.


Listing NGR: TG2339308426

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.