This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 51.3651 / 51°21'54"N
Longitude: 1.1478 / 1°8'52"E
OS Eastings: 619219
OS Northings: 167597
OS Grid: TR192675
Mapcode National: GBR TX6.90X
Mapcode Global: VHLG2.VY4D
Entry Name: Elliott House
Listing Date: 13 March 1998
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1119677
English Heritage Legacy ID: 469149
Location: Canterbury, Kent, CT6
Electoral Ward/Division: Beltinge
Built-Up Area: Herne Bay
Traditional County: Kent
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Kent
TR 16 NE HERNE BAY RECULVER ROAD
751/6/10001 Number 22
Alternatively known as: Railway Convalescent Home. Convalescent home, now sheltered accommodation. Foundation stone laid 12 June 1899, completed in 1901, with extension in matching style of 1907 opened by Princess Louise and mid and late C20 extensions to rear. Architect A Saxon Snell, built by the philanthropist and social reformer J Passmore Edwards as a convalescent home for railwaymen. Eclectic Arts and Crafts Style. Built of local red brick, Bath stone render and tilehanging with tiled roofs and tall brick chimneystacks. An asymmetrical building of two storeys and attics with eight windows, incorporating three projecting gables. The principal feature is an octagonal five storey tower with continuous glazing to fourth floor and casements below. Other windows are double or triple casements or mullioned and transomed casements. Doorcase below tower has cambered head with elaborate keystone, pilasters and stained glass door. Wood and glazed verandah links door with central projecting gable. Further later doorcase in projecting wing has curved open pediment, keystone and giant brackets. Rear elevation has three projecting gables, a mid C20 red brick one storey rotunda and small late C20 flat roofed extension. Interior features include two well staircases with turned balusters, one with scrolled tread ends, fireplace with Gibbs surround to front hall, fireplace with panels, reeded pilasters, strapwork paterae and matching mirror surround to Sitting Room, Library with fitted bookcases and wooden fireplace with carved brackets. Originally this was built as a pair of adjoining convalescent homes but the Friendly Societies convalescent home was demolished c1985.
Listing NGR: TR1900067400
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings