This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 54.0532 / 54°3'11"N
Longitude: -2.8042 / 2°48'15"W
OS Eastings: 347448
OS Northings: 462209
OS Grid: SD474622
Mapcode National: GBR 8PVK.PT
Mapcode Global: WH846.WDV4
Entry Name: Quay Wall
Listing Date: 12 May 1997
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1119687
English Heritage Legacy ID: 469184
Location: Lancaster, Lancashire, LA1
Electoral Ward/Division: Castle
Built-Up Area: Lancaster
Traditional County: Lancashire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Lancashire
Church of England Parish: Lancaster St Mary with St John and St Anne
Church of England Diocese: Blackburn
SD 4762 LANCASTER ST GEORGE'S QUAY
1685-1/3/10000 Quay Wall
Quay wall. 1750-55, partially rebuilt in 1806. Built for The Lancaster Port Commission. Massive coursed squared Lancaster sandstone, With deep bull-nosed coping course at footway level. The battered wall defines the frontage of St George's Quay on the south-west bank of the River Lune, and is approx. 400 metres long, extending south-east from an inset 40 metres east of Carlisle (railway) Bridge, to a raised abutment adjacent to the railway viaduct at the junction ofSt George's Quay and Lune Square. At the south-east end, the quay wall incorporates 2 steeply ramped slipways with setted surfaces. This part of the wall has raised parapet walls with rounded copings. HISTORY: the Lancaster Port Commission was established in 1750 to take advantage of favourable trading conditions in the Baltic and the West Indies. The Commission established the port and associated facilities, and sought to improve navigation on the River Lune. The construction of the Quay Wall represented an essential first step in the development of port facilities at Lancaster. It stands close to the frontage range of C18 and C19 warehouses and the Customs House, all of which were built following the establishment of the quay, and with which the Quay Wall has strong group value.
Listing NGR: SD4744762208
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings