This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 53.1654 / 53°9'55"N
Longitude: -2.2129 / 2°12'46"W
OS Eastings: 385861
OS Northings: 363168
OS Grid: SJ858631
Mapcode National: GBR 12B.KBS
Mapcode Global: WHBC0.ZPDN
Entry Name: Brook Mill Attached Railings Outbuildings and Perimeter Wall with Gatepier brook Mill, Attached Railings, Outbuildings and Perimeter Wall with Gatepier.
Listing Date: 15 May 1997
Last Amended: 29 April 1998
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1119729
English Heritage Legacy ID: 469251
Location: Congleton, Cheshire East, CW12
County: Cheshire East
Civil Parish: Congleton
Built-Up Area: Congleton
Traditional County: Cheshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Cheshire
Church of England Parish: Congleton Team
Church of England Diocese: Chester
SD 8563 CONGLETON MOUNTBATTEN WAY
702/2/10024 Brook Mill and attached
railings and yard wall
Includes: Brook Mill and attached railings and yard wall, BROOKSIDE ROAD
Includes: Brook Mill and attached railings and yard wall, STONEHOUSE GREEN
Silk throwing and weaving mills, water- and later steam-powered; silk spinning mills from 1835, now factory. 1785-early C19, extended 1835. Brick with stone foundation courses, and slate roofs. PLAN: irregular layout of the two original4-storey mills following the water course, and the 1835 five-storey weaving mill at an angle at the E end, with ancillary buildings in the yard to the S.
EXTERIOR: 4-storeys; 4:9:9-window range, with 1835 5-storey; 8-window E range. Earlier mills lower and narrower with stone lintels; narrower Wend section of 4 windows with a 1- 'window stair tower at the end; wider mill to the W has a lavatory tower in the angle on the S side; the two earlier mills canted at a slight angle to one another. 1835 mill has dated rainwater hoppers, a parapet and coped gables, and rubbed brick flat arches; the 4-window W gable has a left-hand half-round dry shute privy tower with small openings to each floor and an open ashlar base for removal of the soil; formerly with a round stair tower attached to the E gable adjoining the earlier mill, now demolished.
INTERIOR: earlier mills have timber cross beams and king and queen post roofs, the 1835 mill has 2 rows of cast-iron columns to box beam floors.
SUBSIDIARY FEATURES: attached iron spear-headed railings to the wall bordering the stream on the N side; former yard wall with ashlar base extends from the Wend along the stream and returns to the S.
HISTORY: originally built for throwing and weaving silk, by 1821 both water and steam were used as complementary power systems, both by day and only water by night. The 1835 mill was for powered weaving; the privy shute is a particularly good example of the improvements in mill worker amenities. The whole site was converted for silk spinning in 1835. The various processes of silk dressing and spinning were carried out on the ground floors, with weaving on those above. This is the largest surviving complex of silk mills in Congleton, and the only remaining example in the region of a works used for silk spinning. This is a site of considerable historical interest at the centre of the local textile industry, illustrating the modest water power sites which silk mills could exploit, and the increase in scale of late C18 to mid C19 mills. Bibliography: (Royal Commission on the Historical Monuments of England), East Cheshire Textile Mills (Anthony Calladine and Jean Fricker et al), 1993, Page(s) 83,86.
Listing NGR: SJ8586163168
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings