This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 50.6472 / 50°38'49"N
Longitude: -2.2977 / 2°17'51"W
OS Eastings: 379044
OS Northings: 83101
OS Grid: SY790831
Mapcode National: GBR 10H.7X6
Mapcode Global: FRA 672C.GMR
Entry Name: The Grange
Listing Date: 20 November 1959
Last Amended: 2 October 1984
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1120524
English Heritage Legacy ID: 108536
Location: Chaldon Herring, Purbeck, Dorset, DT2
Civil Parish: Chaldon Herring
Traditional County: Dorset
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Dorset
Church of England Parish: The Lulworths, Winfrith Newburgh and Chaldon
Church of England Diocese: Salisbury
SY 7883, SY 7983
13/78 CHALDON HERRING EAST CHALDON
The Grange. Formerly
listed as Manor House
House. C16 origin, partly remodelled in C18, altered and enlarged in C19. Stone
walls. Lower slopes of roof stone slated, upper slopes tiled. Brick stacks. Two
storeys and attics. Original building has large central hall, with parlour on east
and kitchen on west.
Circular stone stair - C16, in square turret at rear of east end of hall. C18 stair
tower adjoining this on west (ie in centre of south wall of hall). C19 lean-to
additions at rear, mostly recently demolished, leaving two small single-storey
blocks, with brick and stone walls, and tiled roofs. Demolition of lean-to has
revealed evidence of earlier two-storeyed projecting wing at the rear of the
kitchen. Main front (north) wall rebuilt in C18 in ashlar. Symmetrical design.
Central 6-panel door and fanlight, with moulded stone jambs and head - apparently
re-used C16 work. Ground floor has six double-hung sash windows with glazing bars,
in moulded stone surrounds (apparently re-used C16 work), with added keystones.
First floor has seven similar windows. Attic has four dormers with hipped tiled
roofs, and horizontally sliding sashes with glazing bars.
Rear elevation. At east, (parlour) end, ground and first floors have modern stone
mullioned windows - probably replacing C16 windows. C16 stair turret has external
doorway with chamfered stone surround, and plain C16 windows. C18 stair tower has
one double hung sash window with glazing bars, in a moulded stone surround with
cambered head - probably re-used C16 work. One dormer above this with hipped roof
and horizontally sliding sashes with glazing bars. Single-storey rear extensions
have timber casement windows with glazing bars. At west - (kitchen) end, ground
floor has door with timber lintel, and one double-hung sash window with glazing
bars. Brick walls link the house with stables at rear, forming a courtyard. Cast
iron pump in courtyard, with stone trough.
Internally, C16 stone spiral stair survives. Archway from hall, leading to stair,
has moulded stone surround and cambered head - (part reconstructed).
C18 stair, of open well form, has turned balusters and moulded handrail. First
floor rooms have C18 cornices and raised panel doors. Room over kitchen has simple
panelling. Cross-walls in corridors have arches with moulded linings. Brick garden
walls, with brick piers. Part - built-up archway, of re-used C16 stonework in wall
east of house, has date 1737 cut in arch - probably that of re-use.
RCHM Monument 3.
Listing NGR: SY7904483101
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings