This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 54.7758 / 54°46'32"N
Longitude: -1.5729 / 1°34'22"W
OS Eastings: 427568
OS Northings: 542398
OS Grid: NZ275423
Mapcode National: GBR KFG6.8T
Mapcode Global: WHC4Q.T755
Entry Name: 96 and 97, Elvet Bridge
Listing Date: 6 May 1952
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1120635
English Heritage Legacy ID: 110198
Location: County Durham, DH1
County: County Durham
Electoral Ward/Division: Elvet and Gilesgate
Built-Up Area: Durham
Traditional County: Durham
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): County Durham
Church of England Parish: Durham St Oswald
Church of England Diocese: Durham
DURHAM AND FRAMWELLGATE ELVET BRIDGE
NZ2742SE (South side)
15/146 Nos. 96 and 97
2 houses, now shop. C17 and early C18 on site of medieval chapel of
St. Andrew, part of which may be incorporated in fabric. Painted render;
rear brick on sandstone rubble; roof of French tiles. First house at left
3 storeys, one bay: renewed shop has central door and plain fascia. Central
late C19 sash on first floor; small sash with glazing bars on second floor
at right of centre. Right gable has rendered external chimney stack renewed
in brick at upper part with rendered coping.
Second house: 2 storeys, one bay and one-storey one-bay section at right,
Shaped gable over first bay with plain shop window and first-floor late C19
sash; plain shop window in second bay. Right return and rear have sand-
stone lower courses, corbelled out over bridge cutwater now on land, support-
ing brick corbelling and rear of house with brick floor-level band.
Interior has substantial beams, transverse over left shop.
Listing NGR: NZ2756842398
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings