This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 54.7743 / 54°46'27"N
Longitude: -1.5754 / 1°34'31"W
OS Eastings: 427414
OS Northings: 542234
OS Grid: NZ274422
Mapcode National: GBR KFF7.QB
Mapcode Global: WHC4Q.S809
Entry Name: Cosin's Almshouses
Listing Date: 6 May 1952
Last Amended: 10 March 1988
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1121385
English Heritage Legacy ID: 110416
Location: County Durham, DH1
County: County Durham
Electoral Ward/Division: Elvet and Gilesgate
Built-Up Area: Durham
Traditional County: Durham
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): County Durham
Church of England Parish: Durham St Oswald
Church of England Diocese: Durham
This list entry was subject to a Minor Amendment on 23/02/2017
NZ 2742 SW
DURHAM AND FRAMWELLGATE
PALACE GREEN (East side)
(Formerly listed as Almshouses Restaurant, previously listed as Old Museum)
Former almshouses. 1668 by Longstaffe for Bishop Cosin. Coursed squared sandstone with ashlar dressings; stone-flagged roof with stone gable copings. Two storeys, five bays. Central renewed door in stop-chamfered Tudor-arched surround under high label mould. Double-chamfered surrounds, most renewed, and stone mullions to three-light ground floor and two-light first floor windows. Renewed inscription over door with painted arms.
Interior: first floor removed in C19.
Listing NGR: NZ2741442234
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings