This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 54.7739 / 54°46'26"N
Longitude: -1.5752 / 1°34'30"W
OS Eastings: 427421
OS Northings: 542191
OS Grid: NZ274421
Mapcode National: GBR KFF7.RH
Mapcode Global: WHC4Q.S82L
Entry Name: Abbey House (Department of Theology)
Listing Date: 6 May 1952
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1121387
English Heritage Legacy ID: 110419
Location: County Durham, DH1
County: County Durham
Electoral Ward/Division: Elvet and Gilesgate
Built-Up Area: Durham
Traditional County: Durham
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): County Durham
Church of England Parish: Durham St Oswald
Church of England Diocese: Durham
DURHAM AND FRAMWELLGATE PALACE GREEN
NZ 2742 SW (East side)
14/364 Abbey House
6/5/52 (Department of Theology)
House, now university department. Includes former Abbey Cottage, Dun Cow
Lane. Late C17 early/18 century, incorporating earlier fragments. Sandstone
ashlar front, rendered right return to Dun Cow Lane and brick rear and left
gables; Welsh slate roof with brick chimney and stone right gable coping.
Basement, 3 storeys and attics; 5 bays. Central 6-panel door in stone architrave;
3-pane overlight under cornice resting on paired carved brackets. Flat stone
lintels and flat stone sills to renewed sashes with glazing bars in wide boxes.
Parapet has cyma-moulded coping. Left return has shaped gable with brick coping
and end chimney; right return has earlier stone wall revealed with round-headed
blocked door; irregular-block right jamb. Shaped rear gable has pilastered
Interior: panelled entrance hall dado with ramped rail; similar dado on stair,
with 2 column balusters per tread and fluted rectangular newels, the topmost
with leaf-carved panel, supporting ramped grip handrail. Block tread ends.
Main ground-floor room panelled. Rear brick addition not of interest.
Listing NGR: NZ2742542191
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings