This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 54.7732 / 54°46'23"N
Longitude: -1.5763 / 1°34'34"W
OS Eastings: 427353
OS Northings: 542108
OS Grid: NZ273421
Mapcode National: GBR KFF7.JR
Mapcode Global: WHC4Q.R9K5
Entry Name: Cathedral Cloister East Range
Listing Date: 6 May 1952
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1121388
English Heritage Legacy ID: 110421
Location: County Durham, DH1
County: County Durham
Electoral Ward/Division: Elvet and Gilesgate
Built-Up Area: Durham
Traditional County: Durham
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): County Durham
DURHAM AND FRAMWELLGATE PALACE GREEN
NZ 2742 SW (South side, off)
14/366 Cathedral cloister
6/5/52 east range
East range of cathedral cloister, comprising slype, chapter house and prison.
Buildings begun C11; continued and altered C12 and C13; C15 room above slype;
Chapter House mostly rebuilt 1895-6 by C. Hodgson Fowler, in memory of Bishop
Lightfoot. Coursed squared sandstone with ashlar dressings. Roof not visible.
Chapter House entrance: tall round chevron-moulded arch flanked by lower 2-light
openings, now glazed, with cushion-moulded capitals on shafts. Tall chevron-
moulded arch on similar shafts further north is entrance to slype, now used as
vestry; half-glazed doors dated 1903 on handle-plate. Cloister has 11 buttressed
bays with 3-light C18 openings with intersecting tracery; dwarf walls have low-
curved coping; roll-moulded parapet.
Interior: Chapter House has medieval wall arcades, some parts renewed; first
bay is early rubble; renewed rib vaults on renewed caryatid corbels, with 3
original caryatids placed in non-functional positions; east apse. Bishop's
throne in apse has arm-rests and back from earlier stone throne. Prison to
south has small round-headed window in east wall of first chamber, now a sacristy
and a triangular-headed window, altered when the Chapter House was built; a
second smaller room at the east end of the southern part is also a sacristy;
to the west of this is the prison, with blocked cusped food-hatch. Slype has
5-light window, barrel-vault on wall arcades similar to those of Chapter House
and chevron-moulded inner arch on shafts. Low-pitched C15 roof to upper room.
Listing NGR: NZ2734642109
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings