This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 51.8899 / 51°53'23"N
Longitude: 0.5607 / 0°33'38"E
OS Eastings: 576311
OS Northings: 224354
OS Grid: TL763243
Mapcode National: GBR PHQ.JL1
Mapcode Global: VHJJB.NRSL
Entry Name: Chapel of the Immaculate Conception, Franciscan Convent
Listing Date: 29 November 1973
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1122521
English Heritage Legacy ID: 113694
Location: Braintree, Essex, CM7
Electoral Ward/Division: Bocking North
Built-Up Area: Braintree
Traditional County: Essex
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Essex
Church of England Parish: Bocking
Church of England Diocese: Chelmsford
885 BROAD ROAD
Chapel of the Immaculate Conception,
TL 7624 3/178
An irregular group of red brick buildings with stone dressings. Designed by J F Bentley in 1898. The Chapel. stands at the north end at the junction of
Broad Road with Convent Lane. The chapel is gabled at the west end, with stone bands,2 lancet windows and a large octagonal tower at the south west corner.
The upper stage of the tower has a belfry with .ornamental stone traceried openings, crowned by a stone dome and finial. A wing at the south end is gabled, with a splayed corner adjoining the early C19 convent building to the south. The centre part, with the entrance way, is set back behind a screen wall connecting the tower and the south wing. It is pierced by 2 pointed arches with a central column. The windows are metal casements with leaded lights, in stone dressed reveals. Roofs tiled.
Listing NGR: TL7631124354
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings