This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 51.8019 / 51°48'6"N
Longitude: 0.642 / 0°38'31"E
OS Eastings: 582260
OS Northings: 214769
OS Grid: TL822147
Mapcode National: GBR QL4.TCJ
Mapcode Global: VHJJS.2ZR2
Entry Name: Avenue House newbury House
Listing Date: 1 March 1950
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1122576
English Heritage Legacy ID: 113525
Location: Witham, Braintree, Essex, CM8
Civil Parish: Witham
Built-Up Area: Witham
Traditional County: Essex
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Essex
Church of England Parish: Witham St Nicolas
Church of England Diocese: Chelmsford
1841 NEWLAND STREET
No 2 (Newbury House)
No 4 (Avenue House)
TL 8214 1/23 1.3.50.
A mediaeval timber-framed building, probably C16 which was largely rebuilt
in the late C16-early C17. The present building, which is partly timber-
framed and plastered and partly red brick, was refronted in 1757 in red
brick, with a parapet. No 2 (Newbury House) was a later C18 addition.
2 storeys and cellars. 3 window range, double-hung sashes with glazing
bars, in plain reveals. The outer window ranges are 3-light. A central
6-panel door with a semi-circular fanlight has a wood doorcase with panelled
reveals, pilasters and an open pediment and is approached by stone steps.
The front is protected by iron spearhead railings. Roof tiled, hipped
at the north-east end.
No 4 (Avenue House) is faced in red brick with a parapet and an enriched
modillion eaves cornice. 2 storeys and attics. 7 window range, double-hung
sashes with glazing bars (some of thick section), in plain reveals.
The centre window; on the 1st storey is blocked. A raised brick band runs
between the storeys. A central 6-panel door has a good early C18 doorcase
with architraves and a shell hood on carved consoles. The doorway is approached
by stone steps and the front is protected by iron spearhead railings.
A 2 storey wing with attics extends to the rear with a frontage facing
south-west, with a parapet and moulded brick cornice. 4 window range,
mostly double-hung sashes with glazing bars, in plain reveals. There is
a C18 rain water head and pipe with the date 1757. The rear elevation
has a pair of circa 1600 windows with leaded lights and original fastenings.
The interior has a C18 staircase with twisted balusters. Roofs tiled,
with 3 flat healed dormers on the south-east front and 1 gabled dormer
on the south-west front. RCHM (18).
Nos 2 to 12 (even), Stable to No 4, No 16 (Roslyn Home), Whitehall Cinema,
Nos 22 to 26 (even), Wall to the former house "The Grove" and No 3 form
Listing NGR: TL8226014769
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings