This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 51.8861 / 51°53'9"N
Longitude: 0.902 / 0°54'7"E
OS Eastings: 599812
OS Northings: 224815
OS Grid: TL998248
Mapcode National: GBR SN5.LW2
Mapcode Global: VHKFZ.LV7H
Entry Name: Church of St Giles
Listing Date: 24 February 1950
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1123520
English Heritage Legacy ID: 117198
Location: Colchester, Essex, CO2
Electoral Ward/Division: New Town and Christ Church
Built-Up Area: Colchester
Traditional County: Essex
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Essex
Church of England Parish: Colchester St Botolph with Holy Trinity (LEP)
Church of England Diocese: Chelmsford
1. STANWELL STREET
995 (South Side)
Church of St Giles
TL 9924 NE 9/208 24.2.50.
C12 origin (south wall of nave) with C13 chancel, C14 nave and north aisle.
C16 north chapel and south porch; The west tower, timber-framed and
weather-boarded, dates from C17-C18. Much C19 and modern restoration.
Interesting stone floor tablet (now on north wall of north chapel) to
Sir Charles Lucas and Sir George Lisle, shot after the siege of Colchester
1648. No longer used as a church.
Listing NGR: TL9981224815
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings