This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 51.7744 / 51°46'27"N
Longitude: 0.1594 / 0°9'33"E
OS Eastings: 549079
OS Northings: 210617
OS Grid: TL490106
Mapcode National: GBR LDK.R40
Mapcode Global: VHHM7.QN3M
Entry Name: Franklins Farmhouse
Listing Date: 26 April 1984
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1123920
English Heritage Legacy ID: 118158
Location: Harlow, Essex, CM17
Electoral Ward/Division: Old Harlow
Traditional County: Essex
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Essex
Church of England Parish: Harlow St Mary and St Hugh with St John the Baptist
Church of England Diocese: Chelmsford
TL 41 SE MATCHING HOBBS CROSS ROAD
2/42 Franklins Farmhouse
Farmhouse, late C16 and early Cl7. Timber framed, plastered, roofed with
handmade red clay tiles. Short N-S block with chimney stack at N end, and
3-bay E-W block with axial chimney stack at E end of middle bay, forming an
irregular T-plan. External chimney stack at W end. Lean-to extensions to
N, C19, and in NE angle, C20. S elevation, 2 C20 casement windows, plain
door with asbestos hood, gabled dormer with C20 casement window. Half-hipped
at E and W ends. Frame partly exposed internally. N-S block much altered,but
apparently comprises 1½ bays, the internal tie beam removed, with jowled posts.
In the E wall there is an original doorhead with flat top between 2 short-radius
curves, and a recessed panel with an inscription IOHN HA and a rebus, then ANNO
DOMENOE 1583 (all the Ns and figure 3 reversed), the aperture below now blocked,
and a doorway to the S of it. An original doorway with plain head leading into
the E-W block is blocked. In the E-W block an arched brace rising from the SE
corner post to the wallplate is visible through the wall covering, inside the
studs. The roof is of clasped purlin construction, with curved wind-bracing
visible through the plaster. In the N wall of the W bay there is an unglazed
window with 3 diamond mullions in situ, blocked. In the middle bay there is an
inserted floor with axial beam, plain chamfered with bar stops, the joists of
vertical section, plain chamfered and supported on pegged clamps, with an
original stair trap in the NE corner, fully pegged and chamfered. The
development of this building is unclear on present evidence. The frame of the
N-S block is largely exposed, but most of the E-W block is lathed and plastered
internally, with no recent disturbance. Canon J. L. Fisher stated that the name
derives from Eustace le Franklin, recorded in 1200, and several generations of
that name, and that the inscription relates to John Haver who held the freehold
in 1583 (History of Harlow, ed. L. H. Bateman, 1969, p.57).
Listing NGR: TL4907910617
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Book cover links are generated automatically from the sources. They are not necessarily always correct, as book names at Amazon may not be quite the same as those used referenced in the text.
Source title links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings