This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 51.5743 / 51°34'27"N
Longitude: -0.8124 / 0°48'44"W
OS Eastings: 482398
OS Northings: 186827
OS Grid: SU823868
Mapcode National: GBR D5T.CDC
Mapcode Global: VHDW9.VPWH
Entry Name: Jerome Farmhouse monks Corner
Listing Date: 8 January 1987
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1125597
English Heritage Legacy ID: 46928
Location: Great Marlow, Wycombe, Buckinghamshire, SL7
Civil Parish: Great Marlow
Built-Up Area: Marlow
Traditional County: Buckinghamshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Buckinghamshire
Church of England Parish: Great Marlow with Marlow Bottom, Little Marlow and Bisham
Church of England Diocese: Oxford
GREAT MARLOW MARLOW COMMON
SU 88 NW
4/44 Monks Corner and Jerome
Two houses, formerly house and service wing. Circa 1900. For Conrad
Dressler, sculptor and producer of Medmenham Ware. Whitewashed brick
with off-set string and dentil eaves, plain tile roof, brick chimneys.
T-plan, the service wing across S.W. end. 2 storeys. Leaded casements.
Main block has 3 3-light casements and 2 slit windows to ground floor and
double doors with semi-circular leaded fanlight near right end. First
floor has 4-light and 3-light casements, long frieze panel of painted
terracotta with relief scenes of women at work, and 2 terracotta roundels
with busts in Della Robbia style. At left end is a small corner pavilion,
set at an angle, with pyramid roof, metal weathervane in form of a ship,
and arched terracotta panel with female figure. Service wing to right has
roundel in gable end, and unpainted terracotta frieze of laundry-women.
All terracotta produced locally by Dressler, who also supplied panels for
Westfield Cottages, Medmenham, and tiles for Danesfield estate buildings.
House also noteable as home of Jerome K. Jerome, author of "Three Men in a
Included for historic interest.
Listing NGR: SU8239886827
Other nearby listed buildings