History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Four Headstones South West of Tower

A Grade II Listed Building in Parson Drove, Cambridgeshire

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 52.6616 / 52°39'41"N

Longitude: 0.0541 / 0°3'14"E

OS Eastings: 539018

OS Northings: 309075

OS Grid: TF390090

Mapcode National: GBR L1S.2J1

Mapcode Global: WHHN9.SCYD

Entry Name: Four Headstones South West of Tower

Listing Date: 27 April 1984

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1125900

English Heritage Legacy ID: 48189

Location: Parson Drove, Fenland, Cambridgeshire, PE13

County: Cambridgeshire

District: Fenland

Civil Parish: Parson Drove

Traditional County: Cambridgeshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Cambridgeshire

Church of England Parish: Southea with Murrow and Parson Drove

Church of England Diocese: Ely

Find accommodation in
Gedney Hill

Listing Text

TF 30 NE PARSON DROVE CHURCH END
(North Side)

9/57 "Four headstones,
south west of Tower

GV II

(i) Headstone, Samuel Gunn, 1746. Limestone. In Rococo style. Scrolled
head formed of foliage above a whicker basket, filled with flowers
flanked by a skull, palm, and winged cherubs' heads. Below hangs a
draped curtain bearing the inscription.

(ii) Headstone, Mary, wife of S. Gunn, late C18. Shaped head with winged
cherub's head above draped curtain with circle bearing inscription.

(iii) Headstone, Abigail, wife of S. Gunn, 1752. Limestone. Engaged Corinthian
columns with entablature and shaped pediment containing a winged cherub's
head in the tympanum. Below a circular panel with the inscription and in
the spandrels symbols of mortality, bones and a disembodied hand pointing
to a skull.

(iv) Double headstone, early C18. Limestone. Two figures as caryatids, one
holding an open Bible, the other in act of blessing, supporting a half-
round pediment with two putti each holding a wreath in one hand and
jointly placing the Crown of Glory on the head of winged cherub's head.
Below moulded round-headed arches to two bays with inscriptions.


Listing NGR: TF3901809075

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.