This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 52.7118 / 52°42'42"N
Longitude: 0.1306 / 0°7'50"E
OS Eastings: 544028
OS Northings: 314811
OS Grid: TF440148
Mapcode National: GBR L13.XHB
Mapcode Global: WHJP8.Z3CD
Entry Name: Church of St James
Listing Date: 23 June 1952
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1125956
English Heritage Legacy ID: 48119
Location: Newton, Fenland, Cambridgeshire, PE13
Civil Parish: Newton-in-the-Isle
Built-Up Area: Newton
Traditional County: Cambridgeshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Cambridgeshire
Church of England Parish: Newton-in-the-Isle St James
Church of England Diocese: Ely
TF 41 SW NEWTON CHURCH LANE
6/47 (South Side)
23.6.52 Church of St James
Parish church with C13 nave arcade, but mainly C14 with C15 and C19 alterations.
Rubblestone with brick repairs and plaster rendered. C14 west tower, embattled and of
three stages on splayed plinth. Four stage angle buttressing with newel staircase in
south west corner. Moulded main cornice with two beast gargoyles to each side. West
doorway, two-centred arch, hollow and roll moulded with a moulded label and mask
stops. West window, restored, of three cinquefoil lights with decorated tracery to
head in two-centred arch. Each side of bell-stage has two cinquefoil openings with
quatrefoil to head in two-centred arch. The gable end of the C14 roof is visible in
the east wall of the tower. Nave. Low pitch roof, leaded with clerestorey of five
windows, each of two cinquefoil lights in square heads with label and return stops.
South aisle with three windows of two cinquefoil lights with foiled heads in four-
centred arches. South porch has an outer archway of two hollow and roll moulded
orders, each carried on an attached shaft with moulded capital and base. Chancel,
C15. North and south walls each have two windows of three cinquefoil lights with
vertical tracery in four-centred head. East window restored. C15 and of four
cinquefoil lights with vertical tracery in four-centred head. Interior. North and
south arcades, C13 and of five bays. Two-centred arches of two chamfered orders on
round columns with moulded octagonal capitals and moulded bases. Chancel arch, C14
and of two chamfered orders, the inner on attached shafts forming responds. North of
chancel arch is C15 doorway to C19 rood loft above the screen. The roof was boarded
and painted in C19 and has Minton tiles to floor and stained glass to windows.
VCH (Cambs) Vol.IV, p.204).
Pevnser (Building of England), p.444.
Listing NGR: TF4402814811
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings