History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Museum of Classical Archaeology peterhouse, Arch in North Boundary Wall of the College

A Grade II Listed Building in Cambridge, Cambridgeshire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 52.2009 / 52°12'3"N

Longitude: 0.1169 / 0°7'0"E

OS Eastings: 544770

OS Northings: 257959

OS Grid: TL447579

Mapcode National: GBR L79.SHD

Mapcode Global: VHHK2.ZY56

Entry Name: Museum of Classical Archaeology peterhouse, Arch in North Boundary Wall of the College

Listing Date: 2 November 1972

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1126153

English Heritage Legacy ID: 47562

Location: Cambridge, Cambridgeshire, CB2

County: Cambridgeshire

District: Cambridge

Town: Cambridge

Electoral Ward/Division: Market

Built-Up Area: Cambridge

Traditional County: Cambridgeshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Cambridgeshire

Church of England Parish: Cambridge St Mary the Less

Church of England Diocese: Ely

Find accommodation in
Cambridge

Listing Text

LITTLE ST MARY'S LANE
1.
942
(South Side)
Museum of Classical Archaeology
TL 4457 NE 9/556
II
2.
1883. By Basil Champneys. Ketton stone arcade with red brick filling 8 bays, the
entrance being in the last on the right. Plinth supporting plain Ionic half-columns
paired at either end; entablature with dentils, balustrade with vases on the columns
and an extra one over the door. The doorway has freestanding Ionic columns topped
by lions supporting arms, coat of arms in centre, double doors. Roof not visible.
In the South wall, facing onto Peterhouse is the remains of a C16 4-centred arch end
brick wall (RCHM Page 166).

The following notes should be added to the existing description:-

"Plain interior. Apparently converted from existing warehouses connected with the
port. Some features remain, cellars, timbered roof, entrance ramp, hoist etc.
A clever conversion for existing use".

------------------------------------

LITTLE ST MARY'S LANE
1.
942
(South Side)
Museum of Classical Archaeology
TL 4457 NE 9/556
II
2.
1883. By Basil Champneys. Ketton stone arcade with red brick filling.
8 bays, the entrance being in the last on the right. Plinth supporting
plain Ionic half-columns paired at either end; entablature with dentils,
balustrade with vases on the columns and an extra one over the door. The
doorway has freestanding Ionic columns topped by lions supporting arms,
coat of arms in centre, double doors. Roof not visible. In the South
wall, facing onto Peterhouse is the remains of a C16 4-centred arch and
brick wall (RCHM Page 166).


Listing NGR: TL4477057959

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.