This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 51.1237 / 51°7'25"N
Longitude: 0.2545 / 0°15'16"E
OS Eastings: 557867
OS Northings: 138463
OS Grid: TQ578384
Mapcode National: GBR MPY.K4X
Mapcode Global: VHHQL.C0DW
Entry Name: Former Tunbridge Wells West Railway Station
Listing Date: 27 March 1986
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1126542
English Heritage Legacy ID: 168174
Location: Tunbridge Wells, Kent, TN2
District: Tunbridge Wells
Town: Tunbridge Wells
Electoral Ward/Division: Broadwater
Built-Up Area: Royal Tunbridge Wells
Traditional County: Sussex
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Kent
Church of England Parish: Tunbridge Wells King Charles the Martyr
Church of England Diocese: Rochester
LINDEN PARK ROAD
Former Tunbridge Wells
West Railway Station
TQ 53 NE
Railway station building on former London, Brighton and South Coast Railway.
1866; possibly designed by the Chief Engineer, F Dale Banister, designer of
other station buildings on the line. Red brick with fancy ashlar and black brick
dressings; slate hipped roof; brick stacks. Two storey, ten bay centre block,
which is flanked on west firstly by narrow, two storey, gable fronted wing and,
secondly, by single storey, seven bay wing; flanked on east by three storey
tower with pyramidal roof truncated by square louvred cupola with weathervane.
Centre block with brick and stone plinth and with series of nine round-arched
windows and one similarly arched doorway on ground floor, with brick and stone
voussoirs and decorated ashlar impost band connecting the windows; sash windows.
Ashlar band to first floor; basket headed first floor windows, with band at eaves.
Serrated brick eaves with ashlar cornice on foliated brackets. Similar platform
elevation with C19 iron columns and boarded canopy. Interior: booking hall with
contemporary panelled ceiling and round-arched three bay columned arcade; similar
columns along boundary with former ticket office. Tower: round-headed sash
windows, two to ground and three to first floor; on second floor, continuous
splayed cill band to tall round-headed brick and ashlar arch on stumpy columns
enclosing circular clock face. The engine shed and loading bay buildings are not
of special interest.
Listing NGR: TQ5910539794
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings