This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 52.0977 / 52°5'51"N
Longitude: 0.2801 / 0°16'48"E
OS Eastings: 556281
OS Northings: 246825
OS Grid: TL562468
Mapcode National: GBR MB5.KM0
Mapcode Global: VHHKR.SJYR
Entry Name: Chandlers chaundlers
Listing Date: 29 October 1955
Last Amended: 30 September 1985
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1127670
English Heritage Legacy ID: 51950
Location: Linton, South Cambridgeshire, Cambridgeshire, CB21
District: South Cambridgeshire
Civil Parish: Linton
Built-Up Area: Linton
Traditional County: Cambridgeshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Cambridgeshire
Church of England Parish: Linton St Mary
Church of England Diocese: Ely
TL 5646 LINTON HIGH STREET
16/136 Nos. 91 and 93
(Chandlers) (formerly listed
29.10.55 as Nos 1 and 4 Chandlers
GV II* Cottages)
Hall house divided as two dwellings. Early C15 with C17 alterations and
additions. Timber-framed and plaster rendered with some original pargetted
panels in street elevation, and some exposed timber-frame. Plain tile
roofs. Main hall range of one storey and attic flanked by two storeyed cross
wings to east and west with a cellar to east. Cross wing to west with crown
post roof and original entrance to cross passage with defaced carved
four-centre arched wooden door head and jetty partly underbuilt. Cross wing
to east possibly C17 of three timber-framed bays with carved C17 barge
boards. Four ground floor windows include one oriel window with shaped
brackets and one C19 window planted on C15 or C16 frame with moulded sill.
One gabled dormer window and two attic windows with horizontal sliding
sashes. Interior shows exposed timber-frame and inserted floor and C19 and
C20 staircases. The screen has been removed from the cross passage and is
said to be in a house in Fulbourn. The crest of Adam the Chaundler of a
pelican in her piety was removed c.1930 to the Museum of Archaeology and
Anthropology Cambridge. Plaster frieze in east cross wing of two children.
One fire hook attached to east wall.
Palmer, W.M. A C14 House in Linton, PCAS XXXII, 1930
Millicent, R Copy of Linton Map. 1600. Pembroke College
Palmer, W.M. and Morley. Linton Photographic Collection 1913 Pl.27
Palmer, W.M. The Antiquities of Linton 1913 p11 CC
Wherry, G.W. Rings under eaves etc PCAS XII, p235
R.C.H.M. Report 1951
V.C.H. Vol. VI p82
Listing NGR: TL5628146825
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings