This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 52.1327 / 52°7'57"N
Longitude: 0.2055 / 0°12'19"E
OS Eastings: 551051
OS Northings: 250555
OS Grid: TL510505
Mapcode National: GBR M9P.BRF
Mapcode Global: VHHKJ.HNZG
Entry Name: Babraham Hall the Institute of Animal Physiology
Listing Date: 30 September 1985
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1127745
English Heritage Legacy ID: 51831
Location: Babraham, South Cambridgeshire, Cambridgeshire, CB22
District: South Cambridgeshire
Civil Parish: Babraham
Built-Up Area: Babraham
Traditional County: Cambridgeshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Cambridgeshire
Church of England Parish: Babraham St Peter
Church of England Diocese: Ely
TL 5050 BABRAHAM HIGH STREET
8/45 Babraham Hall, The
Institute of Animal
Country house. 1832-33 by Philip Hardwick (1792-1870), for H.J. Adeane,
Jacobean revival style with additions and alterations in 1864 and c.1900.
Red brick with limestone dressings; slate roofs and metal coverings to tower
and corner turret. Three storeys and basement; two storey and attic
north-west range. The original building with symmetrical three-gabled facade
perhaps encases part of c.1770 building. Extended to south-east by one bay
and to north-west beyond north tower by a range including a billiard room,
and unified in the garden facade by a loggia-raised over the semi basement.
(The north-west service winy c.1900 was replaced by offices and laboratories
in 1952-3). Entrance facade facing north-east. Rusticated limestone quoins,
moulded bands between floors and copings to parapets and gables. Limestone
dressings to mullioned windows with transomes at ground and first floors.
Chimney stacks with short octagonal shafts. Mid C19 single storey porch of
three 'bays' divided by pilasters with blind balustrade and entablature
surmounted by ball finials; round arched doorway with side lights; recessed
double panelled doors and fanlight with glazing bars. Two projecting three
storey 'bays' on either side with shaped parapet gables similar to central
gable with crests of Adeane and Adeane impalling Stanley in gable heads.
Side stack to left hand with crest of Adeane impalling Yorke. Square north
tower with shaped pyrammidal roof terminating with ball finial similar to
south corner turret. Loggia in garden facade of fourteen 'bays' with square
piers and balustrade over an arcade of segmental headed arches. Rainwater
heads with initials H.I.A. 1833. Interior: Ground floor rooms with
plastered ceilings on raised ribs forming geometric patterns with pendants in
Jacobean style. Former drawing room with two fireplaces flanked by elaborate
shaped and enriched pilasters with mirrors above. Former dining room with
bolection moulded panelling. Staircase with flat shaped and pierced
balusters. An early house, Babraham Place c.1580 was owned by Sir Horatio
Palavicino in 1589, it was demolished in 1766 and the materials sold (some
seen by Wm. Cole, used to repair Chesterton sluice). Robert Jones, an East
India Company director rebuilt the house on the same site. The present house
was sold to the Agricultural Research Council by Col. Sir Robert Philip
Wyndham Adeane in 1948. The gardens, including a folly, were laid out in
1864 according to a C16 plan.
V.C.H., Vol. VI, p22,26
R.C.H.M. Report 1951
Colvin, H. English Architects, p262
Pevsner. Buildings of England, p294
Palmer, M.W. The Neighbourhood of Hildersham, p31, 1924
Listing NGR: TL5105150555
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings