History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

The Almshouses the School House

A Grade II* Listed Building in Babraham, Cambridgeshire

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 52.1314 / 52°7'52"N

Longitude: 0.209 / 0°12'32"E

OS Eastings: 551297

OS Northings: 250419

OS Grid: TL512504

Mapcode National: GBR M9P.CNL

Mapcode Global: VHHKJ.KPVG

Entry Name: The Almshouses the School House

Listing Date: 22 November 1967

Grade: II*

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1127746

English Heritage Legacy ID: 51833

Location: Babraham, South Cambridgeshire, Cambridgeshire, CB22

County: Cambridgeshire

District: South Cambridgeshire

Civil Parish: Babraham

Built-Up Area: Babraham

Traditional County: Cambridgeshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Cambridgeshire

Church of England Parish: Babraham St Peter

Church of England Diocese: Ely

Find accommodation in
Hildersham

Listing Text

TL 5050 BABRAHAM HIGH STREET
(North-West Side)

8/47 The School House and
22.11.67 Nos. 1,2,3, and 4, The
Almshouses

II*

Three dwellings, formerly a school and six almshouses. 1732, inscribed stone
plaque 'THIS SCHOOL AND HOSPITAL WERE ERECTED AND ENDOW'D BY THE MUNIFICENCE
OF MRS JUDITH BENNET DAUGHTER OF Sr LEVINUS BENNET BARc AND AUGMENTED BY
LIBERALITY OF JAMES BUSH ESQre AND LEVINUS BUSH ESQre HIS SON ANNO
Dmi ; 1732'. The school buildings were in use till 1959. The almshouses
were converted to four dwellings in 1959-60. Walls of red brick coursed in
header bond with gauged brick dressings and plain tiled roofs. Symmetrical
plan, two storey pedimented central block with single storey wings. Each
wing originally with three one-roomed houses now converted to two. Main
entrance facade: central block with side stacks, moulded wooden eaves
cornice and enrichment to pediment; gauged brick band between floors and
gauged brick window arches. Wooden doorcase with shallow hood supported on
shaped brackets, four-flush-panelled door with stone plaque above. Two
ground floor and three first floor C20 casement windows in original
openings. Wings with end stacks, parapet gables, and ridge stacks. Original
entrances altered to two with half-glazed doors and rectangular fanlights in
each wing, and with one original casement window with small panes and two C20
casement windows.

R.C.H.M. Report 1951
V.C.H., Vol. VI, p29
Pevsner. Buildings of England, p294


Listing NGR: TL5129750419

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Selected Sources

Book cover links are generated automatically from the sources. They are not necessarily always correct, as book names at Amazon may not be quite the same as those used referenced in the text.

Source title links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.