History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Manor Farmhouse

A Grade II Listed Building in Thriplow, Cambridgeshire

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 52.0979 / 52°5'52"N

Longitude: 0.1051 / 0°6'18"E

OS Eastings: 544293

OS Northings: 246485

OS Grid: TL442464

Mapcode National: GBR L8M.HDC

Mapcode Global: VHHKN.RJXL

Entry Name: Manor Farmhouse

Listing Date: 22 November 1967

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1128005

English Heritage Legacy ID: 53110

Location: Thriplow, South Cambridgeshire, Cambridgeshire, SG8

County: Cambridgeshire

District: South Cambridgeshire

Civil Parish: Thriplow

Built-Up Area: Thriplow

Traditional County: Cambridgeshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Cambridgeshire

Church of England Parish: Thriplow St George

Church of England Diocese: Ely

Find accommodation in
Fowlmere

Listing Text

TL 4446 THRIPLOW CHURCH STREET
(West Side)
14/291 No. 50 (Manor
Farmhouse)
22.11.67
GV II*
Farmhouse, now a house. C15 with late C16 or early C17 and C18 alterations;
renovated c.1950 and extended to south. Timber-framed with roughcast
render. Old plain tiled and C20 tiled roofs. Tall C17 stack to left of
cross wing and two C20 stacks to extension; gable end stack to east of cross
wing, red brick in English bond, rectangular planned with offsets and two
diagonal shafts with cornice. One storey and attic open hall range with two
storey jettied cross wing to north of four timber-framed bays. Small two
storeyed C17 projecting wing to north; staircase projection to rear in angle
and original cross passage entrance; staircase projection to rear in angle
and original entrance. Three ground floor casement windows, one casement
attic window and four gabled dormer windows: two entrances with C20 door and
panelled-door to right hand. Interior: Central truss of open hall with
plain and hollow-chamfered posts continuous over curved solid braces to
soffit of tie beam; crown post with four straight braces to collar and
purlin. Inserted stack and floor, evidence of mullioned hall window and
grooves for shutters with similar windows to cross wing. Staircase rebuilt
c.1950 incorporating original material and shaped finials. Cross wing with
complete crown post roof, stop-chamfered ceiling beams, and C17 sealed ovolo
mullioned windows. Ground floor fireplace of clunch, square-headed with some
original ogee-moulding; first floor fireplace with segmental plastered brick
arch and overmantle with simple pediment and boss enrichment. Some early
plank doors and resited door head. The farmhouse was formerly Suttons one of
two estates held by the Bishop of Ely and sold in 1538 to St John's College,
Cambridge. ..
R.C.H.M. Report 1950
V.C.H., Vol. VI, p.241


Listing NGR: TL4429346485

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Selected Sources

Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.