History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

The Manor House

A Grade II* Listed Building in Thriplow, Cambridgeshire

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 52.0974 / 52°5'50"N

Longitude: 0.0994 / 0°5'57"E

OS Eastings: 543904

OS Northings: 246414

OS Grid: TL439464

Mapcode National: GBR L8M.FY0

Mapcode Global: VHHKN.NKX0

Entry Name: The Manor House

Listing Date: 22 November 1967

Grade: II*

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1128012

English Heritage Legacy ID: 53127

Location: Thriplow, South Cambridgeshire, Cambridgeshire, SG8

County: Cambridgeshire

District: South Cambridgeshire

Civil Parish: Thriplow

Built-Up Area: Thriplow

Traditional County: Cambridgeshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Cambridgeshire

Church of England Parish: Thriplow St George

Church of England Diocese: Ely

Find accommodation in
Fowlmere

Listing Text

TL 4246 THRIPLOW MIDDLE STREET
(East Side)
13/308 No. 27 (The
Manor House)
22.11.67
GV II*
Manor House. 1563 carved beam, with C17 additions and alterations, said to
have been restored by James Essex in late C18, kitchen addition c.1800 and
C20 alterations and additions. Timber-framed with roughcast panels; hipped
and gabled plain tiled roofs. Red brick chimney stack with four grouped
diagonal shaft partly rebuilt, side stack with grouped shafts to left hand
rear wing and plain square planned ridge stack to right hand rear wing. Two
storeys with attics; original continuous jetty with boxed joists; lobby
entry with C19 six-panelled door with insurance fire plaque above. Two
ground floor double-light windows with glazing bars, repeated at first floor
with leaded light casements possibly C18 and similar central two-light
casement window. Interior: Exposed substantial timber-frame; room to west
with folded leaf ornament carved on main ceiling beams with double ogee and
aris moulding and inscription 'ANO DNI 1563 R.E. REGINA 5'. Fireplace,
restored C17 four-centred arched clunch insertion to original larger
opening; room to east has secondary beams with roll and hollow chamfer
moulding. Doy leg staircase, C17 closed string, with turned balusters and
moulded handrail. Rooms in rear wings with early C17 panelling reset, first
floor room to north-west with late C17 bolection moulded panelling of two
heights, reset C17 panelling to north-east room. Some late C17 two-panelled
doors. The manor house stands on the west side of the moated site of
Barrinytons Manor. It was owned by Sir Christopher Hatton in 1681; in 1696
it was sold to Dr Humphrey Gower, master of St Johns, Cambridge and up to the
mid C18 was used as a vacation residence by masters of the college. In 1781
it was partly demolished.
R.C.H.M. Report 1950
V.C.H., Vol. VI, p.242


Listing NGR: TL4390446414

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Selected Sources

Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.