This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 51.3704 / 51°22'13"N
Longitude: -2.8116 / 2°48'41"W
OS Eastings: 343600
OS Northings: 163797
OS Grid: ST436637
Mapcode National: GBR JF.SX22
Mapcode Global: VH7CG.6TZ9
Entry Name: The Refectory the Vicarage
Listing Date: 9 February 1961
Last Amended: 19 January 1987
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1129203
English Heritage Legacy ID: 33964
Location: Congresbury, North Somerset, BS49
County: North Somerset
Civil Parish: Congresbury
Built-Up Area: Congresbury
Traditional County: Somerset
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Somerset
ST 46 SW CONGRESBURY C.P. CHURCH DRIVE (east side)
4/96 The Vicarage and The Refectory
9.2.61 (formerly listed as The Vicarage)
Vicarage and former Priest's House, now used for parish functions. Early C19
Vicarage to left-hand, c.1446 former Priest's House to right hand. Vicarage of
limewashed render with stone plinth and parapet, ashlar to porch and hipped double
Roman tile roof. Rectangular block of 2 storeys, 3 bays. All windows are 12-
pane sashes. West entrance front with recessed central section and Greek Doric
distyle porch in antis with fluted columns and triglyph frieze. 2-leaf small
pane glazed doors. Refectory of limewashed render and dressed stone to
buttresses and south-east porch gable face. Pantile roofs and coped stone gables.
L-shaped plan with right-hand advanced porch of 2 storeys. Windows to main range
are of 2-lights with cinquefoil-cusped heads under flat lintels with hoodmoulds
and face stops. Cross-mullions to ground floor, single lights above. Offset
buttresses between. Porch gable end has a pointed-arched doorway with inner
order on shafts and capitals, decorative order of filigree dogtooth ornament and
several further moulded orders with hoodmould and angel stops holding heraldic
shields. Further angel at arch centre, all with heads missing. Offset diagonal
buttresses, cross-mullion window to parvise above porch and a winged angel in
square niche holding a scroll. Benches either side inside porch, moulded 4-panel
compartmented ceiling and Tudor-arched doorway with plank door. East end stone
stack with moulded cap, left-hand Vicarage has 2 brick stacks. Interior.
Refectory ground floor room (hall) has a 6-panel compartmented ceiling and stone
stairs built on to north external wall up to room above. The space now occupied
by the 2 rooms may once have been an open hall. Upper room stair doorway in
Tudor-arched and the roof is of 3 bays with 2 cambered arch braced collar trusses
and 3 tiers of wind braces (all renewed). Similar structure with renewal over
parvise. Coved compartmented ceiling in east end upper room and carved stone
fireplace with moulded basket-handle arch and decorative frieze of quatrefoils and
mouchettes. The eastern range comprising the Refectory was built by executors of
Bishop Beckington of Wells whose heraldic devices and those of the Poulteney
family are on the porch. (N. Pevsner, The Buildings of England : North Somerset
and Bristol, 1958; Architect's Journal, 1977).
Listing NGR: ST4360063797
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Book cover links are generated automatically from the sources. They are not necessarily always correct, as book names at Amazon may not be quite the same as those used referenced in the text.
Source title links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings