History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Gates, Overthrow and Piers Approximately 80 Metres East of Dutch Tea Garden

A Grade II Listed Building in Eaton and Eccleston, Cheshire West and Chester

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 53.1372 / 53°8'13"N

Longitude: -2.8744 / 2°52'27"W

OS Eastings: 341603

OS Northings: 360364

OS Grid: SJ416603

Mapcode National: GBR 7B.6B9R

Mapcode Global: WH88M.TDFS

Entry Name: Gates, Overthrow and Piers Approximately 80 Metres East of Dutch Tea Garden

Listing Date: 2 November 1983

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1129921

English Heritage Legacy ID: 55239

Location: Eaton, Cheshire West and Chester, CH4

County: Cheshire West and Chester

Civil Parish: Eaton and Eccleston

Traditional County: Cheshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Cheshire

Church of England Parish: Eccleston St Mary

Church of England Diocese: Chester

Find accommodation in
Saighton

Listing Text

SJ 4160 EATON C.P. ALDFORD APPROACH
(North east side)

9/43 Gates, Overthrow and
Piers approx. 80 metres
east of Dutch Tea Garden

II

Pair of Carriage Gates, Overthrow and Piers circa 1870, in classical
revival style. The gates and overthrow are of wrought iron, the piers
ashlar. Each gate has an ornate surround, dogbars and lockrail, with
a decorative centrepiece in the upper panel: that to the left has 3
stags' heads, to the right a Grosvenor sheaf, within symmetrical
patterns of foliated scrollwork. The overthrow is triangular with
foliated scrollwork and a sheaf in the Garter as the central motif.
The square piers, with moulded plinths and caps and a recessed panel
on each side, carry urns as finials.
The gates stand in the wall (not included) between park and garden by
Alfred Waterhouse, but may have been introduced later, possibly by
Lutyens - Pevsner & Hubbard.


Listing NGR: SJ4160360364

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.