History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Lodge, Gates, Piers and Screens to Forecourt Between Coach-House Court and Eaton Hall Cottages

A Grade II Listed Building in Eaton and Eccleston, Cheshire West and Chester

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 53.1419 / 53°8'30"N

Longitude: -2.8782 / 2°52'41"W

OS Eastings: 341350

OS Northings: 360883

OS Grid: SJ413608

Mapcode National: GBR 7B.63CD

Mapcode Global: WH88M.R9L7

Entry Name: Lodge, Gates, Piers and Screens to Forecourt Between Coach-House Court and Eaton Hall Cottages

Listing Date: 2 November 1983

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1129923

English Heritage Legacy ID: 55245

Location: Eaton and Eccleston, Cheshire West and Chester, CH4

County: Cheshire West and Chester

Civil Parish: Eaton and Eccleston

Traditional County: Cheshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Cheshire

Church of England Parish: Eccleston St Mary

Church of England Diocese: Chester

Find accommodation in
Saighton

Listing Text

SJ 4160 EATON C.P. ECCLESTON APPROACH
(East side) Eaton Park

9/49 Lodge, Gates, Piers and
Screens to Forecourt
between Coach-House
Court and Eaton Hall
Cottages

GV II

Lodge, Gates, Piers and Screens. 1870's by Alfred Waterhouse for 3rd
Marquis and 1st Duke of Westminster. Stone and shaped red tiles;
wrought and cast iron. Single chamber gabled lodge (early French
Renaissance). Semi-octagon bay window, front, with hipped roof of
wrought stone slabs, surmounted by armorial panel. Deeply moulded
window surround and mullions. Twice-weathered plinth. Shaped stone
eaves and parapet gables and tall, strongly moulded hexagonal gable
chimney. Lancet windows to sides and rear, patterned leaded glazing
and boarded oak door on ornate wrought iron hinges, set back in
moulded stone opening. Two gate piers with octagonal corner
buttresses and spirelets linked to steep gabled caps carrying ornate
lamp standards with coronals of curved wheat-ears below octagonal
lanterns, originally gas. Similar but smaller pier, without lamp
standard, left.
Pair of iron gates with closely spaced scrollwork below lockrail and
in two panels above, with letter 'W' central on each gate. Doghead
finials to vertical rails.
Screens left and right of similar character to gates stand on tapered
stone plinths. Lodge, gates and screens are one of the few parts to
survive intact of Waterhouse's boundary fence between park and garden.


Listing NGR: SJ4135060884

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.