History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Hampton Old Hall

A Grade II* Listed Building in No Man's Heath and District, Cheshire West and Chester

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 53.0373 / 53°2'14"N

Longitude: -2.7345 / 2°44'4"W

OS Eastings: 350842

OS Northings: 349140

OS Grid: SJ508491

Mapcode National: GBR 7J.DN87

Mapcode Global: WH892.ZX0F

Entry Name: Hampton Old Hall

Listing Date: 1 March 1967

Grade: II*

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1129932

English Heritage Legacy ID: 55169

Location: Hampton, Cheshire West and Chester, SY14

County: Cheshire West and Chester

Civil Parish: No Man's Heath and District

Traditional County: Cheshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Cheshire

Church of England Parish: Malpas St Oswald

Church of England Diocese: Chester

Find accommodation in
Bickley

Listing Text

SJ 54 NW HAMPTON CHOLMONDELEY ROAD
(South side)

5/28 Hampton Old Hall
1.3.67
Il*

House, 1591, altered and added to. Timber-framed on stone, with brick
and stone wings. Slate and tile roofs. 2 storeys with cellars. 3
symmetrical bays with front facing gables, 4th bay to left hand side
set back. 3 bays are close panelled, some painted to simulate timbers
on stone plinth containing cellars which have 2-light mullion windows.
Oak mullion and transom windows of 2 and 3 lights, with metal framed
casements. 2 replaced multiple brick stacks in valleys. 4th bay has
front facing gable, and is timber-framed with moulded bressumer and
baluster and chevron decoration. Blind mullion window with moulded
frame, over doorcase with moulded jambs and head, and with stud door.
Left hand side brick, with stone dressings and part painted with
timber-framing; stone wing to rear. Stone 3 light mullions to canted
bay and oriel. Projecting ground floor brick stack. Glazed diaper
pattern brickwork. Right hand side has dormer casement, and timber
framed porch, upper part added. Panelling in porch, bolection moulded
architrave to 6 panel door. Timber gable finials. Interior has
panelling and panelled doors, elaborately carved mantlepiece with
panel painting above, and overmantel.
Simple oak back stair with balusters at 1st floor. Back door, dated
1591 has heavy wrought iron hinges and fittings. (Pevsner and
Hubbard).


Listing NGR: SJ5084249140

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Selected Sources

Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.