This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 53.1348 / 53°8'5"N
Longitude: -2.8709 / 2°52'15"W
OS Eastings: 341829
OS Northings: 360087
OS Grid: SJ418600
Mapcode National: GBR 7B.6K42
Mapcode Global: WH88M.WG2P
Entry Name: Iron Bridge over the River Dee
Listing Date: 4 June 1952
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1129943
English Heritage Legacy ID: 55196
Location: Aldford and Saighton, Cheshire West and Chester, CH4
County: Cheshire West and Chester
Civil Parish: Aldford and Saighton
Traditional County: Cheshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Cheshire
Church of England Parish: Aldford St John the Baptist
Church of England Diocese: Chester
SJ 4160 ALDFORD C.P ALDFORD APPROACH TO
9/1 Iron Bridge over the
4/6/1952 (Formerly listed under Eaton
Bridge, 1824, by William Hazledine for the 1st Marquis of Westminster.
Cast iron with yellow sandstone abutments. A single span of 50 metres
forming a lofty segmental arch has open spandrels, containing lattice
bracing ornamented with cusped mouchettes, trefoils and quatrefoils.
Cast iron railings with dogbars and cusped heads to panels. Cast iron
double gates at crown of bridge. Carriageway bands have raised cast
lettering: at the west end William Hazledine, Director (north side)
and William Stuttle, Clerk of Works (south); at the east end William
Crossley, Surveyor (north side) and William Stuttle, Junior Founder
(south). The massive sandstone abutments, curved in plan, terminate
in octagonal piers.
The western half of the bridge is in Poulton civil parish.
Listing NGR: SJ4182960087
Other nearby listed buildings