This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 53.1173 / 53°7'2"N
Longitude: -2.871 / 2°52'15"W
OS Eastings: 341799
OS Northings: 358140
OS Grid: SJ417581
Mapcode National: GBR 7B.7R3K
Mapcode Global: WH88M.WX03
Entry Name: Aldford Hall
Listing Date: 2 November 1983
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1129947
English Heritage Legacy ID: 55203
Location: Aldford, Cheshire West and Chester, CH3
County: Cheshire West and Chester
Civil Parish: Aldford and Saighton
Traditional County: Cheshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Cheshire
Church of England Parish: Aldford St John the Baptist
Church of England Diocese: Chester
SJ 45 NW ALDFORD C.P. CHESTER ROAD
6/8 Aldford Hall
Farmhouse, circa 1880, by John Douglas for the 1st Duke of
Westminster, converted (with no alteration to the exterior) into 2
cottages probably circa 1912. Lower storey of tooled squared snecked
red sandstone, upper storey of brown brick with blue diapering,
sparingly used, and sandstone dressings. Complex hipped and gabled
roof of red tiles with massive central brick chimney. Stone-coped
pedimented gables; dormer gables with brick pilasters terminating in
stone finials. Kneelers to gables have ball finials. Doubly
chamfered stone-mullioned windows with small-pane iron casements.
Oak-framed porch at south west corner, under a cat-slide roof, has
closely-spaced slender turned balusters of wood in front of glazing.
Mid C20 door.
Of 1½ storeys and 2 main bays to each front, Aldford Hall is a good,
informally balanced composition in the Jacobean manner, showing
Douglas's ability to present a varied massing from different
viewpoints. Well grouped with the farm buildings (q.v.)
Interior altered and largely stripped of detail.
Listing NGR: SJ4179958140
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings