This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 53.1896 / 53°11'22"N
Longitude: -2.7738 / 2°46'25"W
OS Eastings: 348394
OS Northings: 366108
OS Grid: SJ483661
Mapcode National: GBR 7G.34Q9
Mapcode Global: WH88H.C3D4
Entry Name: Hockenhull Hall
Listing Date: 22 October 1952
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1130525
English Heritage Legacy ID: 55735
Location: Tarvin, Cheshire West and Chester, CH3
County: Cheshire West and Chester
Civil Parish: Tarvin
Traditional County: Cheshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Cheshire
Church of England Parish: Tarvin St Andrew
Church of England Diocese: Chester
SJ 46 NE HOCKENHULL C.P. HOCKENHULL LANE
2/31 Hockenhull Hall.
Formerly manor house, now house and 2 flats: late C17, completely
remodelled c1715 probably by Francis Smith (attribution A Gomme) for
Hugh Wishaw of Chester. White-pointed Flemish bond (some earlier
English bond) brickwork with buff sandstone dressings. Hipped Welsh
slate roof and stone-coped chimneys. Square in plan with 2 main
facades, 2-storey over basement symmetrical 9-bay (2:2:1:2:2) south
front. Moulded plinth, clasping plain Ionic pilasters to corners,
projecting eaves. End pair of bays project forward slightly. Tall
sash windows of 5 by 3 panes in simple moulded stone architraves with
fluted keyblocks. Central bay has 5 semi-circular steps to doorcase
with fluted Ionic pilasters and segmental pediment. Glazed pair of
doors in bolection moulded architrave with key block. 2-storey, 6-bay
east front has plain facade within end pilasters and similar windows.
2nd bay has an added detached composition stone gabled porch on plain
piers over access to basement. Simple architrave to 6-panelled door
with fanlight and vertical glazing bars. 2-storey, 8-bay west front
has bands at 1st and 2nd floor with similar openings to 5 bays to the
right, but left 3 bays show C17 fabric with added plinth, rusticated
quoins and bands.
Interior: Entrance into a large hall with saloon to the left, passage
and staircase to the right. Saloon has fielded panelling. Open well
oak staircase with square newels, moulded handrail and turned
balusters. Semi-circular archway over the passage has panelled
reveals. Some rooms upstairs have C17 heavy chamfered beams, one with
quirk stops. Fielded 6-panelled doors throughout. Some C18 fittings
have been added to the house over the last 30 years. Extensive
cellars in the basement.
Listing NGR: SJ4839466108
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings