This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 53.1772 / 53°10'37"N
Longitude: -2.7264 / 2°43'35"W
OS Eastings: 351546
OS Northings: 364697
OS Grid: SJ515646
Mapcode National: GBR 7J.3XZ3
Mapcode Global: WH88J.2DZN
Entry Name: Duddon Old Hall
Listing Date: 22 October 1952
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1130566
English Heritage Legacy ID: 55733
Location: Duddon and Burton, Cheshire West and Chester, CW6
County: Cheshire West and Chester
Civil Parish: Duddon and Burton
Built-Up Area: Duddon
Traditional County: Cheshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Cheshire
Church of England Parish: Tarvin St Andrew
Church of England Diocese: Chester
SJ 56 SW DUDDON C.P. WILLINGTON LANE
5/29 Duddon Old Hall.
Farmhouse: late C16, graffito date of 1772, early C19 alterations and
additions and late C19 restoration of timber framing. Partly
timber-framed on stone plinth, partly washed brick. Graduated
stone-slate roof, and some Welsh slate. Projecting stone stacks at
either end. 1 plastered ridge chimney. Plan of hall and crosswing.
2-storey, 4-bay south front. Left end bay is timber framed and
projects under barge-boarded gable. 5-light ovolo moulded
wood-mullioned windows with smaller 4-light windows at high level to
either side. Studding in ground storey, lozenges and shaped balusters
in first floor and lozenges and serpentine struts in the gable.
Carved brackets and tiebeams. 2nd bay has wooden doorcase with a
triangular pediment and a 6-panelled door. Windows are 2 and 3-light
casements under flat wedged stone heads and stone sills. Graffito
date on right end, diagonal strutting in rear gable and added parallel
range to rear.
Interior: Broad entrance hall with hall to right. This has inglenook
with massive oak bressumer and heck post with former entry against
screen. Chamfered ceiling beams. To left is parlour and above is
main chamber. This is open to the ridge and wainscotted throughout
with fluted panels at the top. Moulded stone fireplace with depressed
arch, 6-panelled door with reeded rails. Similar door to cupboard at
top of stairs. Some wainscotting in bathroom and door with curved
H-hinges. Room over hall with deeply chamfered and stopped ceiling
beam. Winder stair to rear shows blocked diamond-mullioned window.
Range to rear were cheeserooms, with base of stone press below and
whey rotted floorboards above.
The unusual windows in the crosswing would have exactly matched those
in Church House, Tarvin (q.v.) and were also used by Douglas at The
Bars and the Owen Owen building, Eastgate Street, Chester. A
photograph of the unrestored gable is given in J Parkinson and E A Ould
Old Cottages, Farm Houses and other half-timbered buildings. London
Listing NGR: SJ5156364719
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Book cover links are generated automatically from the sources. They are not necessarily always correct, as book names at Amazon may not be quite the same as those used referenced in the text.
Source title links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings