This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 53.1546 / 53°9'16"N
Longitude: -2.771 / 2°46'15"W
OS Eastings: 348538
OS Northings: 362215
OS Grid: SJ485622
Mapcode National: GBR 7G.5CDJ
Mapcode Global: WH88H.DZQ0
Entry Name: Church of St Peter
Listing Date: 1 March 1967
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1130643
English Heritage Legacy ID: 55513
Location: Foulk Stapleford, Cheshire West and Chester, CH3
County: Cheshire West and Chester
Civil Parish: Hargrave and Huxley
Traditional County: Cheshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Cheshire
Church of England Parish: Hargrave St Peter
Church of England Diocese: Chester
SJ 46 SE FOULK STAPLEFORD C.P. LONG LANE
(North Side) Hargrave
2/3 Church of St. Peter
Formerly chapel and school, now church: dated 1627, bell turret and
vestry added, and restoration of 1877. Ashlar red sandstone, red tile
roof with pierced ridge. 5-bay nave and chancel in one range, south
porch and vestry. Diagonal buttresses at the corners and bays of nave
divided by stepped buttresses. Stone copings and finials. 3-light
chamfered stone mullioned windows with round-headed lights. Porch
projects under coped and finialled gable. Massive chamfered lintel
over restored studded oak board door with planted strap hinges. Above
in cyma-moulded surround, are arms and plaque reading:
"Thomas Moulsone of ye citty of London, Alderman, built this
chappell upon his owne cost and charge Ano Dmi 1627".
At right end is priest's door in chamfered surround. Blocked 6-light
mullioned and transomed east window. West end has chamfered stone
doorcase with original studded oak 4-board door with strap hinges
4-light window above.
Interior: Simple but with hammer-beam roof sprung from stone corbels,
with carved console and pendant. Wind-braced purlins. No chancel
arch. Re-used C17 and C18 panelling in some pews. Remaining fittings
including painted bas relief reredos, early C20.
Thomas Moulson, was born at Hargrave, and later became Lord Mayor of
London. His chapel included the school until 1833.
Listing NGR: SJ4853862215
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings