History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Glusburn Old Hall old Hall Farm

A Grade II Listed Building in Glusburn and Cross Hills, North Yorkshire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 53.8988 / 53°53'55"N

Longitude: -2.0051 / 2°0'18"W

OS Eastings: 399764

OS Northings: 444737

OS Grid: SD997447

Mapcode National: GBR GRFC.Q4

Mapcode Global: WHB7N.58GF

Entry Name: Glusburn Old Hall old Hall Farm

Listing Date: 10 September 1954

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1131813

English Heritage Legacy ID: 323606

Location: Glusburn and Cross Hills, Craven, North Yorkshire, BD20

County: North Yorkshire

District: Craven

Civil Parish: Glusburn and Cross Hills

Built-Up Area: Cross Hills

Traditional County: Yorkshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): North Yorkshire

Church of England Parish: Sutton-in-Craven St Thomas

Church of England Diocese: Leeds

Find accommodation in
Low Bradley

Listing Text

SD 94 SE GLUSBURN COLNE ROAD
5/79 (north side)
10.9.54 Glusburn Old Hall
[Nos 1, 2
(Old Hall Farm)
and 3]

II


Large house, probably early C17 (datestone with 1537 is erroneously recut). Dressed
stone and stone slate roof. Entrance facade of 2 storeys has 3 wide gables. These
emerge from a continuous roof which is prolonged into a wing at right. Each gable is
coped, with kneelers at extreme ends and apex finials, and stands over a single double
chamfered window in each storey, except between the second and third gables, where
this is a former 2-light window perhaps to light the main chimney, and a small
cupboard window above. The others are of 5, 5 (lacking all mullions), and 3 lights
to ground floor; and of 4, 4, and 3 lights above, all with hoodmoulds. The outer
doorways are C19 and central doorway is recut, but bears the date 1537 and initials RS
and ES in the spandrels. Two chimneys: a square stack beyond the body of the house to
left, now castellated, and another between second and third bays. Wing at right now
serves as a barn and has C19 outshut flush with front facade, but its gable end has a
2-light double chamfered mullion window lacking mullion. Rear wall is much rebuilt
and has a cart entry to the barn part.
Interior: completely altered.


Listing NGR: SD9976444737

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.