History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Church of St Cuthbert

A Grade II Listed Building in Forcett, North Yorkshire

More Photos »
Approximate Location Map
Large Map »


Latitude: 54.5052 / 54°30'18"N

Longitude: -1.7304 / 1°43'49"W

OS Eastings: 417556

OS Northings: 512246

OS Grid: NZ175122

Mapcode National: GBR JJCB.5S

Mapcode Global: WHC60.D171

Entry Name: Church of St Cuthbert

Listing Date: 21 May 1987

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1131962

English Heritage Legacy ID: 323252

Location: Forcett, Richmondshire, North Yorkshire, DL11

County: North Yorkshire

District: Richmondshire

Civil Parish: Forcett

Traditional County: Yorkshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): North Yorkshire

Church of England Parish: Forcett with Aldborough and Melsonby

Church of England Diocese: Leeds

Find accommodation in

Listing Text

NZ 1612-1712
10/40 Church of St Cuthbert

Church. C12 work incorporated into rebuilt church of 1859, C13 tower.
Sandstone rubble with ashlar dressings, Westmorland slate roof. West tower,
nave with north aisle and south porch, chancel with north vestry. Tower: of
3 1/2 stages, the lowest one being relatively near the ground, forming a kind
of basement; plinth; quoins; round-arched vents on ground and first stages;
belfry opening of 2 segmental-pointed-arched lights under monolithic lintel,
divided by shaft with small volutes on capital; battlemented parapets;
lancet window with hoodmould on ground floor of west side and matching
belfry opening; square-plan stair turret in north-east corner and matching
belfry opening on north side; octagonal clock in moulded frame on east side.
Porch: diagonal buttresses; late C12 Romanesque doorway of 2 orders with
waterleaf capitals to shafts; light vent above; coping with gable cross;
light vent in left side; early C12 Romanesque inner doorway, much restored,
of 2 orders with zigzag motif on outer order and with reeded archivolt. The
porch reuses many fine Anglo-Saxon and medieval carved stones, largely
tombstones but also including an Anglo-Saxon cross and other Anglo-Saxon
carved stones; in the east side a hollow-chamfered pointed arch with stop
chamfers to recess containing a worn C14 recumbent effigy of a priest in
mass vestments, and in its rear wall a medieval tombstone with foliate
cross and shears and an Anglo-Saxon cross-head and a stone carved with
beasts; the bench tables are seated with medieval tombstones; in west wall a
medieval tombstone with pattee cross on stepped base, with shears. There
are also 2 Anglo-Saxon carved stones on outside of porch, on east side.
Nave: end butresses; lancet windows with sill string, 1 to west of porch,
2 to east of porch and, with buttress to its left, a paired lancet window;
ashlar coping, with gable cross to east. North aisle: 4 bays of lancet
windows divided by buttresses; at west and east ends, window of 2 segmental-
pointed-arched lights with oculus above. Chancel: of 2 bays, but with only
one window, towards west end, of 2 lights with Decorated tracery and
hoodmould; coping with gable cross to right; east end with panelled corner
buttresses terminating in finials, 1 missing at time of resurvey, and with
4-light west window with reticulated tracery. Vestry: pointed-arched
doorway with hoodmould, and octagonal ashlar chimney; east window of
2 segmental-arched trefoiled lights with hoodmould. Interior: Early
English-style 4-bay north arcade with circular columns, tower and chancel
arches; richly carved woodwork to roofs, especially in chancel, and
elaborate fittings including, in chancel, panelling, choir stalls and altar
rail, also similar quality pulpit, reading desk and pews in nave. On west
side above chancel arch, Ten Commandments painted on a thin slab; many good
wall monuments including, among others to the Michell family, a matching
pair, to John Michell d1766 and family (north), and Charles Michell d1841 of
Forcett Hall and family (south); on north wall of aisle to William Clark of
Barforth Hall d1833 by Websters of Kendal; on south wall of nave monument
sarcophagus to James Shuttleworth, MP d1783; below it a good brass to Mrs
Anne Underhill, formerly Shuttleworth, d1637 showing a round-arched vault
supported on columns with "Labour" and "Rest" on the capitals, and the
deceased in an attutude of prayer on the floor below; also brass monument to
Anne's son Nicholaus Shuttleworth of Forcett, armiger, d1666 with Latin
inscription. VCH i, p 70.

Listing NGR: NZ1755612246

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Selected Sources

Book cover links are generated automatically from the sources. They are not necessarily always correct, as book names at Amazon may not be quite the same as those used referenced in the text.

Source title links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.