This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 54.0812 / 54°4'52"N
Longitude: -2.2741 / 2°16'26"W
OS Eastings: 382165
OS Northings: 465064
OS Grid: SD821650
Mapcode National: GBR DPK7.GR
Mapcode Global: WHB6K.1PC4
Entry Name: Langcliffe Manor House and Cottage
Listing Date: 20 February 1958
Last Amended: 13 September 1988
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1132394
English Heritage Legacy ID: 324244
Location: Langcliffe, Craven, North Yorkshire, BD24
County: North Yorkshire
Civil Parish: Langcliffe
Traditional County: Yorkshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): North Yorkshire
Church of England Parish: Langcliffe St John the Evangelist
Church of England Diocese: Leeds
SD 86 NW
2/4 Langcliffe Manor House
and Cottage (formerly
20.2.58 listed as Manor
Formerly farmhouse to Langcliffe Hall, now house and cottage. Dated 1678 with C18
and C19 additions. Slobbered squared and coursed rubble, stone dressings, stone
slate roof. 2 storey rear to street is 3 bays; mid C19 double fronted entrance to
house; right-hand entrance to cottage has plain surrounds and 3-light double chamfered
mullioned window on ground floor to right and similar but 2-light window on upper
floor. West entrance front: 2 storeys, 3 bays with scattered fenetration. Entrance
to right of centre has moulded surround and decorated dated doorhead with initials
LI; C20 door. Dripstone over entrance rises and continues over former 5-light double
chamfered window with cavetto mullions to left on ground floor, right-hand light
now blocked. Left of this is a small single-light fire window with plain surround
and a similar but chamfered window directly above on the upper floor; remaining upper
floor windows from the left are: single light with chamfered segmental head and
surround and two 3-light double-chamfered windows with cavetto mullions, the extreme
right-hand window being interrupted at sill level by the roof ridge of a late C19
single-storey projecting wing. All windows have C20 casements or fixed lights.
Left-hand and right-hand gable end ridge stacks and stack to left of centre on line
with fire window. Left-hand bay has 2 storey projecting wing of late Cl7/early C18
date with 3-light chamfered window with cavetto mullions on square stools on both
floors; C20 casements and fixed lights. Gable end of this wing is pebble-dashed and
has small round projecting ridge stack cantilevered at upper floor level, formerly
on 2 corbels but right-hand corbel is now missing; stack blocked at ridge. Interior:
large segmental-arched fireplace with 19 voussoirs and a round-headed recess on either
side. Ground floor spine beams are decorated with painted tendril pattern. King
block roof with blocks embellished with carved detail.
Source: B Harrison and B Hutton, Vernacular Houses in North Yorkshire and Cleveland
Listing NGR: SD8216565064
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Book cover links are generated automatically from the sources. They are not necessarily always correct, as book names at Amazon may not be quite the same as those used referenced in the text.
Source title links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings