History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Royds Hall

A Grade II* Listed Building in Royds, Bradford

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 53.7502 / 53°45'0"N

Longitude: -1.7838 / 1°47'1"W

OS Eastings: 414356

OS Northings: 428230

OS Grid: SE143282

Mapcode National: GBR HTZ2.MC

Mapcode Global: WHC9G.KZTW

Entry Name: Royds Hall

Listing Date: 4 September 1952

Grade: II*

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1132910

English Heritage Legacy ID: 337063

Location: Bradford, BD12

County: Bradford

Electoral Ward/Division: Royds

Parish: Non Civil Parish

Built-Up Area: Bradford

Traditional County: Yorkshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): West Yorkshire

Church of England Parish: Wyke

Church of England Diocese: Leeds

Find accommodation in
Bradford

Listing Text

1.
5111 ROYDS HALL LANE
Low Moor BD6

Royds Hall
SE 1428 64/88 4.9.52

II* GV


2.
One of the best surviving manor houses in the Bradford area. Begun by
William Rookes in 1640. A long range of 2-storeys coursed gritstone. The
central portion dated 1640 and 1651 comprises 2 halls. The west cross wing
is of 1656 and 1658 and the right hand wing of 3-storeys was added by
Edward Rookes-Leeds in 1770. Irregular multi-gabled south garden front,
saddlestones with kneelers and shaped finials. Large chamfered mullioned and
transomed to window of 3 groups of 4 lights to hall and 2 groups of 4 lights
to first floor of 1651 range, otherwise long ranges of 8 and 10 lights.
Two-storey gabled porch with 4 central arch doorway to centre of south front
with 1640 cartouche above weathered stringcourse, decorated corbels flanking
massive ashlar lintel and spiral carving to spandrels of arch. Stepped
4 light window above with drip mould. The recessed gabled bay to right of
porch has unusual first floor window consisting of 5 stepped lights. The
1770 wing has a canted front the centre rising through 3-storeys with lunette
window in gable. Tall corniced chimneys. External chimney with offsets to
west gable end. The north courtyard front has 5, 6 and 8 light chamfered
mullion windows with drip moulds and similar gables. Four centred arch doorway
in porch. Small bellcot. Interior very much altered early C20. Four Tuscan
columns screen hall and one of circa 1770. The staircase and the balusters
of one side of the gallery remain in situ. Massive fireplace backing onto
porch, the overmantel with boldly carved leaf pattern. The C18 wing retains
ground floor room with restrained delicate plasterwork frieze and ceiling of
circa 1770. In plan the house is 2 rooms deep. Following the purchase of the
estate by the Low Moor Iron Company in 1788, Royds Hall became the residence
of the Rev Joseph Dawson, trained as a Scientist, who was the Chief Technologist
of the company's success. He died here in 1813.


Listing NGR: SE1435628230

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.