This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 53.8384 / 53°50'18"N
Longitude: -1.7875 / 1°47'14"W
OS Eastings: 414082
OS Northings: 438039
OS Grid: SE140380
Mapcode National: GBR J91.RL
Mapcode Global: WHC92.JS18
Entry Name: Saltaire Mills - Main Block Including Sheds
Listing Date: 22 November 1966
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1133523
English Heritage Legacy ID: 337546
Location: Bradford, BD17
Electoral Ward/Division: Shipley
Built-Up Area: Shipley
Traditional County: Yorkshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): West Yorkshire
Church of England Parish: Shipley St Paul
Church of England Diocese: Leeds
SE 1338 SE
SE 13 NW
VICTORIA ROAD (east side)
Saltaire Mills - main block including sheds
Mill complex. 1851-53. By Lockwood and Mawson.
Engineer: Sir William Fairbairn. For Titus Salt. Hammer-dressed
stone with ashlar and rock-faced dressings. Welsh slate roof.
4 storeys and basement in a T-plan with lower sheds in the angles
and extending to the east. The main facade is 60 bays long arranged
symmetrically A. B. C. D. E. D. C. B. A. with number of bays as follows:
1. 22. 1. 3. 6. 3. 22. 1. Bays A and C project. Bays D project
slightly. Bays C are surmounted by square open towers with paired
round-arched openings. Window heads are cambered except to ground
floor where they are round-arched with rusticated rock-faced voussoirs,
and to the top floor of the central bays and the projecting bays where
they are also round-arched with archivolts and keystones. Three have
central segmental-headed carriage entrances with rusticated rock-faced
voussoirs, that to the left infilled with a small extension and that
to the right part-blocked. At the base of each bay D is a slender
2-storey round-arched opening, that to right infilled with contemporary
glazing and that to left infilled with recent materials. Ashlar
rusticated quoins,and ashlar pilaster-quoins to upper floors. String
course between floors. Deep bracketed eaves cornice. Parapet to
centre bays. Single-storey sheds to right with round-arched windows,
segmental-headed cart-entries and deep parapet. The leg of the 'T',
the warehouse, is 25 bays long with plain casements and terminates in
a 5-storey block, 12 bays long by 6 bays deep. Its rear facade,
overlooking the canal, is near-symmetrical with segmental pediments
surmounting the 2 loading bays. At low level, opening directly onto
the canal, are 7 large, round-arched openings with rock-faced rusticated
voussoirs, now infilled with glazing. The side elevations of this end
block are pedimented. To the right of the rear facade is a 4-storey
23-bay block and to the left, a 22-bay shed with north-lights, both
running parallel to the canal.
The building is of fire-proof construction with cast-iron columns and
beams, stone floors on hollow-brick arches, and a cast-iron roof.
Part of Saltaire model village.
N. Pevsner, The Buildings of England, 1967
D. Linstrum, West Yorkshire Architect and Architecture, 1976
Listing NGR: SE1408238039
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Book cover links are generated automatically from the sources. They are not necessarily always correct, as book names at Amazon may not be quite the same as those used referenced in the text.
Source title links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings