History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Church of St Paul

A Grade II Listed Building in Shipley, Bradford

More Photos »
Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 53.8339 / 53°50'2"N

Longitude: -1.7827 / 1°46'57"W

OS Eastings: 414396

OS Northings: 437538

OS Grid: SE143375

Mapcode National: GBR JB3.S6

Mapcode Global: WHC92.LW9Q

Entry Name: Church of St Paul

Listing Date: 24 June 1976

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1133546

English Heritage Legacy ID: 337498

Location: Bradford, BD18

County: Bradford

Electoral Ward/Division: Shipley

Built-Up Area: Shipley

Traditional County: Yorkshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): West Yorkshire

Church of England Parish: Shipley St Paul

Church of England Diocese: Leeds

Find accommodation in
Saltaire

Listing Text

SE 13 NW SHIPLEY KIRKGATE
(north side)
Shipley

2/101 Church of St. Paul
24 June 1976

GV II


Commissioners' church. 1823-25. By John Oates of Halifax. Ashlar.
Welsh slate roof. Perpendicular style. 5-bay nave and aisle under
one roof, small chancel, west tower. Tall, 3-stage square west tower
with west door, under deep square hoodmould. The west window is of
three lights. 2-light windows to 2nd stage. 6-light transomed and
traceried bell-chamber openings with clock-face attached. Pierced
crenellated parapet and tall crocketed corner pinnacles. To north and
south sides of the tower is a former 2-storey porch. The entrances
are now part-blocked to form windows. The buttressed aisles have tall,
6-light, mullioned and transomed windows with cusped lights and intersecting
tracery. Crenellated parapets. The lower single-bay chancel has a large
14-light transomed east window with Perpendicular tracery. Above the
window is a square, elaborately detailed plaque with shield, helm and
crest. Octagonal corner towers to east end of chancel. Single-storey
porch to each side, all with crenellated parapets.

Interior: 5-bay arcade to north and south on octagonal piers.
Compartmental roof with plastered timber ribs and small bosses. North
and south galleries, the panelled and traceried fronts of which were
added in 1875. The west gallery has been renewed and has screen below
to form separate, full width hall at rear. Elaborate and finely-carved
stone pulpit of c1876-80. The lower part has a central pedestal with
figures in niches and is splayed to support the wooden, panelled and
traceried upper part. Elegant carved stone open stair. Octagonal
marble font with traceried panels. East window by F. Barnett of York
1858-60, partly obscured by later panelled reredos. Later C19 commemorative
glass to aisles.


Listing NGR: SE1439637538

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.