History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

68 and 70, Vicar Lane Bd1

A Grade II Listed Building in City, Bradford

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 53.7947 / 53°47'40"N

Longitude: -1.7468 / 1°44'48"W

OS Eastings: 416775

OS Northings: 433185

OS Grid: SE167331

Mapcode National: GBR JLK.F8

Mapcode Global: WHC99.4WG8

Entry Name: 68 and 70, Vicar Lane Bd1

Listing Date: 9 August 1983

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1133651

English Heritage Legacy ID: 337282

Location: Bradford, BD1

County: Bradford

Electoral Ward/Division: City

Built-Up Area: Bradford

Traditional County: Yorkshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): West Yorkshire

Church of England Parish: Cathedral Church of St Peter Bradford

Church of England Diocese: Leeds

Find accommodation in
Bradford

Listing Text

1.
5111 VICAR LANE BD1
(north-east side)

Nos 68 and 70
SE 1633 SE 37/1153

II GV


2.
Part of the same warehouse block as No 66 qv. Built in 1866 to the designs of
Eli Milnes. Corner site with Currer Street. Four-storey tall palazzo elevations
of sandstone ashlar rising from deep blind basement with platband over. Bowed
corner. The Currer Street front ascends hill on slight concave curve contrasting
effectively with the corner. Facing Vicar Lane the basement has boldly vermicu-
lated coursing whilst to Currer Street there are rock faced panels with deeply
grooved coursing between. Horizontal grooving to ground floor of Vicar Lane
front. Dentil cornice over ground floor, sill bands to upper floors, bracketed
projecting eaves cornice. The corner is flanked by grooved pilaster strips,
panelled at third floor level; cornices broken forward over. The entrance on
corner is a tripartite group of archivolt arched pilastered niches flanking
similar arched doorway with head keystone. Bowed door with fanlight. Large
fielded panels below niches. The upper floor corner windows are tripartite,
architrave surround with consoles to cornice on first floor, similar but without
consoles on second floor and plain on third floor. The ground floor windows to
Vicar Lane are round-healed with grooving struck into the arches. Large round
arched waggonway. Plain close set window to upper floor. The sandstone "brick"
elevation to Currer Street has archivolt arched ground floor windows linked by
impost string. Plain windows above. Important corner site.


Listing NGR: SE1677533185

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.