History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Park Methodist Church and Attached Sunday School

A Grade II Listed Building in Brighouse, Calderdale

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 53.7015 / 53°42'5"N

Longitude: -1.7798 / 1°46'47"W

OS Eastings: 414632

OS Northings: 422805

OS Grid: SE146228

Mapcode National: GBR JT0M.GV

Mapcode Global: WHC9V.M7N6

Entry Name: Park Methodist Church and Attached Sunday School

Listing Date: 29 April 1982

Last Amended: 2 December 1983

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1133851

English Heritage Legacy ID: 338767

Location: Calderdale, HD6

County: Calderdale

Electoral Ward/Division: Brighouse

Built-Up Area: Brighouse

Traditional County: Yorkshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): West Yorkshire

Church of England Parish: Brighouse Saint Martin

Church of England Diocese: Leeds

Find accommodation in
Brighouse

Listing Text

BRIGHOUSE BETHEL STREET
SE 1422- NE (north side)

6/5 Park Methodist Church and
attached Sunday School
(formerly listed as
29. 4. 82 Park Methodist Church)

II

Chapel and Sunday School. 1876 by R. F. Rogerson. Dressed stone with good
ashlar dressings, slate roof. Freely handled transitional style. 2 storeys.
5-bay hall range flanked by square towers with slated iron crested pavilion
roofs. The east tower rises a full stage higher, its return splayed with side
elevation following street alignment. Strongly modelled false machicolated
eaves cornice. To the base of each tower is a portal of 2 orders with stiff
leaf impost, string carried in over doorhead, panelled tympanum, deeply roll-
moulded each on ¼ jamb shafts but the whole is contained by crocket-finialed
gable. The first floor of towers has large Romanesque window with arched lights
and circular light to head. The top stage of east tower has an ogee capped
oculus. The stiff leaf impost string and partly corbelled sill course are
carried over from towers on the first floor of the 5 bay range meeting an arcade
of windows recessed in 2 orders with ¼ jamb shafts. Ground floor segmented
arched windows. Right hand return wall 2 storeys of 9 uneven sized bays. 3-
light mullioned windows to 1st bay, 2-light to 2nd, all others single light.
Ground floor has segmental arched lintels, first floor has semi-circular arched
heads and longer windows, moulded gutter brackets and square stack to right hand
end.


Listing NGR: SE1463222805

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.