This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 53.6331 / 53°37'59"N
Longitude: -1.7332 / 1°43'59"W
OS Eastings: 417740
OS Northings: 415206
OS Grid: SE177152
Mapcode National: GBR JVBF.KC
Mapcode Global: WHCB2.BYX5
Entry Name: Fenny Hall
Listing Date: 3 March 1952
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1134260
English Heritage Legacy ID: 339834
Location: Kirklees, HD8
Electoral Ward/Division: Almondbury
Traditional County: Yorkshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): West Yorkshire
Church of England Parish: Almondbury with Farnley Tyas Team Parish
Church of England Diocese: Leeds
SE 1715 40/17 Fenny Hall
1605, 1617, 1660, 1792, early to mid C19, and mid to late C19. Entrance is
in early to mid C19 part. Hammer-dressed stone. Hipped stone slate roof.
2 storeys. Moulded eaves cornice. Continuous sill bands. 5 ranges of sashes,
central 3 in wide canted bay. Door with moulded panels and fanlight, in moulded
frame with fluted frieze and pediment up flight of steps with mid C19 cast
To west of this is the 1660 range, refronted with stucco in 1792 (parapet inscribed
"B N 1792"): gabled with 2 storeys at west end, tripartite stone mullioned
sash on 1st floor, French casements with marginal glazing bars on ground floor,
side lights and fanlight, verandah on elaborate mid C19 cast iron piers.
The mid to late C19 part to east and north-east is of no special interest.
Courtyard at rear entered through a gateway (probably late C17) with rusticated
ashlar jambs and a crude semi-circular trophy above, inscribed "W F INTRET
FIDES". Excluding the mid to late C19 wing (which appears to make use of re-used
sashes with glazing bars on ground floor, and re-used bargeboards on 1st floor),
there are 4 gables. The 2 to east are timber-framed and probably date from
1605 (or earlier). Their ground floor is masked by a stone lean-to extension
(C17 or early C18) with 2 C18 tripartite sashes with glazing bars set in partly
chamfered reveals; and door with depressed arched head and chamfered reveals,
leading to porch in antis with flanking benches and studded planked door.
Both gables have bressummers with foliage moulding on east one, vine moulding
on west one. Elaborate cut barge-boards and moulded finials. Both have oblong
bay windows with casements and leaded quarries below the bressummers. East
one has console-shaped brackets to bressummer and short studs connecting it
to a subsidiary tie-beam: the spaces between the timbers are filled with black
and white abstract patterns. Above the tie-beam (and above the bressummer
on the west one) the studs run parallel to the rafters. On the west gable
the studs run perpendicular to the rafters below bressummer. West bressummer
inscribed "N F".
The 2 gables further west are presumably of 1660, project forward and are built
of hammer-dressed. The eastern one is masked by a parapet, has one range of
sashes with glazing bars and an C18 lead down pipe diagonally across it, with
a gadrooned rainwaterhead in the re-entrant angle. The west one has one bipartite
window with glazing bars on 1st floor, one 6-light stone mullioned window with
hollow chamfered surround on ground floor, and one late C19 window. Both of
these 2 gables have stone finials.
Interior: Drawing room of 1660 appears to be cruck-framed. Modillion cornice
runs all way round skirting cruck blades. C20 panelling, but above fireplace
is an achievement of arms dated 1660. Fine contemporary plaster ceiling with
large star-shaped moulding. Butler's room has early C18 panelling and timber-
framed wall above is taken on monolithic Tuscan columns.
Listing NGR: SE1774015206
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings