This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 53.7158 / 53°42'57"N
Longitude: -1.9206 / 1°55'14"W
OS Eastings: 405337
OS Northings: 424382
OS Grid: SE053243
Mapcode National: GBR HT0G.ZQ
Mapcode Global: WHB8G.GVNR
Entry Name: Hoyle House
Listing Date: 19 July 1988
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1134425
English Heritage Legacy ID: 339430
Location: Calderdale, HX6
Electoral Ward/Division: Sowerby Bridge
Built-Up Area: Halifax
Traditional County: Yorkshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): West Yorkshire
Church of England Parish: Warley St John the Evangelist
Church of England Diocese: Leeds
This list entry was subject to a Minor Amendment on 24/10/2014
SE 0424 & SE 0524
SOWERBY BRIDGE, Friendly,
WATER HILL LANE (west side, off),
Nos 1,2,3 and 4 Hoyle House
Farmhouse, now 4 dwellings. Early C17 for John Ramsden (Sutcliffe, p35), subdivided
C19, part rebuilt 1885 for Mrs M Leigh. Coursed squared stone, stone slate roof.
2 storeys, 5 bays, the 2 left bays rebuilt 1885 (originally gabled), the 3 right
bays gabled with rear range and the 2 right-hand-most ones projecting forward.
Double-chamfered mullion windows throughout. The 2 left bays, No 1: C20 door in
quoined surround with segmental-arched overlight and lintel dated "18 ML 85"; to
either side on each floor a transomed 4-light window; ground-floor dripmould with
decorative stops, right one possibly C17 and reused; shaped gutter brackets; shaped
kneelers with finials; coping; end stacks. C17 part: No 2, on left, has door in
added porch to right of transomed 5-light window with probably 3-light window above
(ivy-covered). No 3, in centre, has C19 door to left of transomed 5-light window
with 4-light window above under hoodmould. No 4, on right, has transomed 5-light
window with square light to left and 4-light window above under hoodmould. The
2 right bays have continuous ground-floor hoodmould, valley gutter spout with rams-
head (Ramsden symbol), shaped kneelers, coping and finials. Corniced stack between
right-hand bays; truncated external stack to right. Rear: C17 part: 3 bays, outer
bays gabled. Left bay has shouldered external gable stack, central bay a 4-light
and a 2-light, now 1-light, window to 1st floor. Right return: hoodmould returns
as string; on left of external stack a blocked Tudor-arched doorway and a C19 door-
way with short 2-light, now 1-light, window above; to right of stack a C19 doorway
and a 5-light window to each floor. Interior of No 3: 1 low, chamfered, Tudor-
arched fireplace with a chamfered, quoined, Tudor-arched doorway to its left and
quoins in wall to left of this possibly indicating that the rear range is an
addition. The wall opposite also has a quoined angle, and a wall plate with part
of panelled partition wall surviving. Between front and rear rooms is a plank
and muntin partition wall, the stiles and rails with grooved decoration and a door
on the right with 2 decorated arched panels and a lintel with incised cross.
Chamfered spine beams. On 1st floor more panelling with grooved stiles (inserted);
in the roof of the rear range 2 king-post trusses with V-struts and wind braces;
a similar truss in the front roof. A datestone removed from the ground-floor fire-
place of No 2 and reset in its front wall reads '17 IN 37', the initials being
those of Isaac Naylor who came into possession c1731, his father, Anthony having
acquired the property in 1720 (Sutcliffe p36).
T Sutcliffe, 'Some Old Warley Houses; Halifax Antiquarian Society, 9th April 1918, pp 33.
Listing NGR: SE0533724382
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings