This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 53.6862 / 53°41'10"N
Longitude: -1.6877 / 1°41'15"W
OS Eastings: 420721
OS Northings: 421127
OS Grid: SE207211
Mapcode National: GBR JTNT.DB
Mapcode Global: WHC9X.1LLY
Entry Name: Wellhouse Farmhouse and Attached Barn
Listing Date: 14 March 1966
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1134692
English Heritage Legacy ID: 340835
Location: Mirfield, Kirklees, WF14
Civil Parish: Mirfield
Built-Up Area: Mirfield
Traditional County: Yorkshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): West Yorkshire
Church of England Parish: Mirfield Team Parish
Church of England Diocese: Leeds
MIRFIELD WELLHOUSE LANE
SE 22 SW
2/149 Wellhouse Farmhouse and
14/3/66 attached barn
Farmhouse, right part now barn. House dated 1576, altered, barn section altered or
rebuilt late 18C incorporating original timber-work. Coursed rubble with quoins and
plinth, dressed stone to left part of house. Stone slate roof. Two storeys.
Probably formerly a 3-room house with through passage between centre and right
rooms, and outshut at rear of housebody. The right room now incorporated into the
barn building at 90°. Housebody has doorway to right, blocked, with moulded
surround and 4-centred arched triangular lintel with raised letters in sunk panel:
Gbh 1576 GH.
Large 20C 2-light window to left and 19C doorway to left of this. Two 2-light 19C
windows to 1st floor. Left room projects and has mid 19C walling and window
openings, and hipped roof. Tall rendered ridge stack to right of original doorway.
The rear of the housebody has opposing entrance with quoined surround and cambered
head in triangular lintel. The barn has later openings in gable front and 3 and
4-light 18C and 19C windows in right return. Central ridge stack of early brickwork.
Interior: at least 2 arcade posts. Stop-chamfered beams to left and centre rooms
and in barn. Large fireplace in left room with mounted surround and deep triangular
lintel. Said to have similar fireplace in centre room though now covered. Original
oak pantry door with 4 round-arched panels and reed moulding. Central 18C chimney
breast in barn may indicate former use as cottages.
Listing NGR: SE2072121127
Other nearby listed buildings