History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Group of 5 Monuments Approximately 10 Metres South of Aisle Window to Church of St Andrew

A Grade II Listed Building in Preston, Dorset

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 50.6455 / 50°38'43"N

Longitude: -2.4173 / 2°25'2"W

OS Eastings: 370587

OS Northings: 82945

OS Grid: SY705829

Mapcode National: GBR PZ.H19B

Mapcode Global: FRA 57TC.J1W

Entry Name: Group of 5 Monuments Approximately 10 Metres South of Aisle Window to Church of St Andrew

Listing Date: 22 December 1997

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1135151

English Heritage Legacy ID: 467339

Location: Weymouth and Portland, Dorset, DT3

County: Dorset

District: Weymouth and Portland

Town: Weymouth and Portland

Electoral Ward/Division: Preston

Built-Up Area: Weymouth

Traditional County: Dorset

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Dorset

Church of England Parish: Preston with Sutton Poyntz St Andrew

Church of England Diocese: Salisbury

Find accommodation in
Preston

Listing Text


WEYMOUTH

SY78SW CHURCH ROAD, Preston
873-1/3/470 (South side)
Group of 5 monuments approx 10m S of
aisle W window to Church of St
Andrew

GV II

5 headstones. Early to mid C18, dated variously from 1756 to
1770. The stones are grouped in 2 pairs, separated by approx
2m N/S, and a single monument approx 2m to the E, between the
pairs. From N to S they are: (i) Early C18, unidentified, the
inscriptions not legible. There are 3 good carved cherub heads
under a shaped top, above a flush panel; (ii) Immediately S of
the last. C18, with shaped head to scrolls. Carved skull,
trumpet and torch, above a flush panel with no legible
inscription; (iii) approx 2m S of the last. To Richard Lewis,
d.1761. Shaped top with scrolls above carved book and other
symbols including an angel; (iv) Immediately S of the last. A
very wide headstone, with shaped top, and with inscriptions
covering most of the surface, starting very close to the top.
The earliest decipherable memorial is to Joseph Wallis,
d.1770; (v) approx 2m E from and centred to the previous
pairs, a small headstone to Richard Johnson, d.1756. Shaped
top.

Listing NGR: SY7058782945

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.