This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 50.6113 / 50°36'40"N
Longitude: -2.4555 / 2°27'19"W
OS Eastings: 367869
OS Northings: 79167
OS Grid: SY678791
Mapcode National: GBR PY.D8ZK
Mapcode Global: FRA 57RG.76M
Entry Name: Telegram Printing Works
Listing Date: 14 June 1974
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1135199
English Heritage Legacy ID: 467310
Location: Weymouth and Portland, Dorset, DT4
District: Weymouth and Portland
Town: Weymouth and Portland
Electoral Ward/Division: Melcombe Regis
Built-Up Area: Weymouth
Traditional County: Dorset
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Dorset
Church of England Parish: Radipole and Melcombe Regis
Church of England Diocese: Salisbury
SY6779SE CAROLINE PLACE
873-1/20/41 (South side)
14/06/74 Telegram Printing Works
Nonconformist chapel, now small industrial unit. Dated 1839.
Flemish bond brickwork, cream stone dressings, some Portland
ashlar, slate roof.
PLAN: a small building compressed between later commercial
buildings, slightly set back from them; the front only
EXTERIOR: a central raised section with pediment, and
pedimented porch, is brought forward from lower wings with
swept parapets. The centre has a stone panel with shield and
date (1839 or 1859), over small paired lights with moulded
stone arches on responds and a central mullion; the 2 outer
respond capitals and the keystones have been removed.
Below this is the projecting square porch in rusticated ashlar
which is carried also across the centre bay. A pair of
panelled doors has a drafted margin to the stonework, and the
closed pediment has an ovolo-mould cornice.
To each side is a large 12-pane sash with radial bars in
moulded stone arches with a keystone and respond capitals, but
brick jambs. A small plinth, a mid sill band, ovolo-mould
parapet and cornice, and bold V-joint rusticated stone quoins.
At either end are stone quadrant acroteria with carved
stylised leaf ornament.
INTERIOR: not inspected.
When built, the chapel was in the context of modest terrace
houses, which have either been removed or substantially
modified; its dignified frontage remains as a reminder of that
time. At time of survey the building appeared to be used as a
Listing NGR: SY6786979167
Other nearby listed buildings